Storyist Forums

SEARCH in all modes

Steve E

Hi all.

I would like to be able to use the SEARCH function in all modes (not just Text mode). Both Outline mode and Storyboard mode contain text (even if it is just a title on a picture). Speaking for myself, my Outline mode outlines have gotten rather long and being able to SEARCH them would speed up the rewrite process.

Note that I'm not asking to SEARCH across all modes simultaneously.

Note that even the FIND command does not operate in Outline and Storyboard modes.

-Thoth

Seconded. And let me add:

Note that I'm not asking to SEARCH across all modes simultaneously.

Why not? That actually sounds like it could be of great help. Let's say you had a manuscript on one pane, and your character sheets on the other pane. If, for example, you wanted to search for all mentions of magic wands in both your manuscript, and in the character descriptions—wouldn't it be great to simply enter the search term and have it search both panes and modes simultaneously?

Orren

Why not [sEARCH across all modes simultaneously]? That actually sounds like it could be of great help.

I was asking for something simpler, but sure, why not. Steve needs to keep busy. :rolleyes:

Let's say you had a manuscript on one pane, and your character sheets on the other pane. If, for example, you wanted to search for all mentions of magic wands in both your manuscript, and in the character descriptions—wouldn't it be great to simply enter the search term and have it search both panes and modes simultaneously?

Yes, it would be great. And we can already do it.

What you describe here is only a Text Mode search. You aren't searching across modes. And for your example you don't even have to search across the split views (the panes holding the two views you describe are both in Text Mode). Character sheets (containing the character descriptions) are text and always show up in a Search under the Found-window level titled Characters.

Still, Search across all modes and all views simultaneously? Why not. Of course you'd have to change the Found window presentation to differentiate between view-one and view-two in the Found hierarchy but it seems doable.

-Thoth Mode

Archived