Storyist Forums

iPad app?

sally

Hi,

May I ask, do you have an estimated date or slot on your beta-testers list?

I wrote three huge technical manuals, several blog postings with Storyist.

I also use MacSnapper for annotating pictures.

My typical workflow is to spend some time researching the article, take a break, write for 3 or 4 hours.

At this moment I am using IAWriter, Index Cards, My Writing Place to get the job done on iPad.

I've found Dragon Dictate for iPad to be very handy when I feel a bit bored and don't want to type so much.

For iPad, I use Google docs/ DropBox and also WiFi sync.

The trouble is the sync process - it's a fiddly process to use Google Docs or DropBox or WiFi sync. Folders and formatting gets lost.

Hi Sally,

Welcome to the forums.

Hi,

May I ask, do you have an estimated date or slot on your beta-testers list?

I wrote three huge technical manuals, several blog postings with Storyist.

I also use MacSnapper for annotating pictures.

My typical workflow is to spend some time researching the article, take a break, write for 3 or 4 hours.

At this moment I am using IAWriter, Index Cards, My Writing Place to get the job done on iPad.

I've found Dragon Dictate for iPad to be very handy when I feel a bit bored and don't want to type so much.

For iPad, I use Google docs/ DropBox and also WiFi sync.

The trouble is the sync process - it's a fiddly process to use Google Docs or DropBox or WiFi sync. Folders and formatting gets lost.

There are a few more testing slots for the next build. I sent you some information via PM with the details.

-Steve

I absolutely cannot wait to see the iPad version of this. Thus far the best luck I've had is exporting to DOC, using dropbox to get to my iPad, then opening in Pages. To go back I'm just using copy and paste because the formatting just never works right. I tried iA Writer but when I export Storyist to txt and try to open in Writer it always shows up blank.

If there are any other slots for the beta, please let me know. I've owned every iDevice since iPhone 1 (kind of sad really) and am really building momentum on my novel. The only problem is that I spend three hours of each day on a train, and the iPad + ZAGGmate is way more convenient then my 15" MacBook. Syncing to iPad and formatting compatibility? Yes please!

By the way, I may as well add that this is a great program. I didn't even trial it, but bought it straightaway based on the glowing reviews and genuine approval from its users. Thank you for making such a powerful yet simple editor!

- Yet Another Steve

In the meantime, I find Documents to Go a better transfer program than the various pure text editors and even Google Docs. You can sync directly from your Mac to your iPad with a free desktop program (the company sends you the link when you buy the iPad app), as well as via Dropbox and iTunes. For Dropbox, you need to pony up the extra $5 for the "premium" edition, but it's worth it. Docs to Go doesn't have the full capability of Office, but it's nondestructive, and it reads/writes DOC, DOCX, RTF, and PDF files (as well as Excel and Powerpoint).

Of course, nothing beats keeping your file in Storyist the whole time. Even importing RTF gets old the fifth time you wipe out all your carefully named section titles. For that reason, what I actually do (when not testing the beta, on which I cannot comment outside the private beta testers forum without sacrificing my firstborn to Steve :lol:) is export my Storyist file to ePub, load it into iBooks, and take notes on the file there. Since I'm going to have to add in the changes manually, I figure I may as well have the fun of seeing my story take on the form of a real book!

Welcome to the forums, Yet Another Steve. :)

Marguerite

Thanks for the tip Marguerite, I have Docs2Go Premium and I'll give that a shot. I figured out the iA Writer problem (curly quotes) and have had a little more success today exporting straight to dropbox as txt, opening in iA Writer on my iPad, syncing it back, and then copying/pasting changes into Storyist. I don't think I want to mess with importing or customization (styles, etc) just yet, it sounds scary.

As for the ePub exports, you're right about the fun of seeing it take the form of a real book. One of the first things I did was export to Kindle just so I could sync it and get warm purposeful fuzzies.

I meant to mention that e-mailing also works for ePub files. If your iPad is not attached to your Mac, you can e-mail the ePub file as an attachment, tap on it, and choose "Open in iBooks" from the menu. The file stays in your iBooks library even after you tell Mail you're done, and you can access it from there.

Best,

M

• 3 weeks later...

I meant to mention that e-mailing also works for ePub files. If your iPad is not attached to your Mac, you can e-mail the ePub file as an attachment, tap on it, and choose "Open in iBooks" from the menu. The file stays in your iBooks library even after you tell Mail you're done, and you can access it from there.

Best,

M

Just to let you know, I cannot wait for it. Let's just say I have been using an odd combo of things to work on both machines... and at this point the one that seems to work best is Auteuresit\ insert fiction here... or index card and scrivener... which for research (academic) is actually a better combo... it has to do with what you need for academic writing.

Archived