Storyist Forums

Autofill index cards

Steve

12 members have voted

1. 1. How frequently would you use autofill?

• Frequently. I prefer to have snippets from the text rather than summaries in the card.
    • Somewhat frequently. I usually write summaries, but having the option would be helpful.
    • Somewhat infrequently. I might use it on the occasional project.
    • Never. I use cards exclusively for summaries.

In another post, cliophoto requested the ability to autofill index cards with the first paragraph or so from the document.

I've had a couple of requests for this at the support email address, so I'm starting a new discussion thread here so it doesn't get buried.

Another thing I would like to see would be somehow to autofill the index cards from what has already been written in a section. Not sure how this would work if you had already filled out the index card prior to writing in the section.

-Steve

Hello

What I was thinking when I asked this question was to be able to toggle the autofilling off and on again for each index card.

Using the colour coding that is built in you could setup a system that worked for you to be able to tell which was autofilled and which was your synopsis.

Steve thanks for moving this and bring it to the attention of all.

Phil

Hi.

Just thought I'd add my 2¢ for what little it may be worth. (I'm sure you have your own ideas, Steve.)

I've only seen three ways to autofill summaries (i.e., the text of index cards) and they all rely on something already being written in the Section. The first, and simplest, is a button that takes the first sentence (or more) of what has already been written in the Section and copies it to the summary. The second does a hash of the Section text concentrating on sentences containing special markers or words (character names come to mind). The third takes what has been written and eliminates sentences containing special markers or words. Often this technique just copies first and last paragraph sentences. All these techniques permit editing afterwards, of course.

Short of advanced A.I. that actually "understands" the words in order to create summaries (I'm thinking NSA) you may find yourself choosing the three I mention above (or a variation).

Sorry to interrupt.

-T

Thanks Thoth and Phil,

Thoth: Yes, auto summaries can be simple or complicated. I think on iOS, simple (the first line or two) is probably what is feasible.

The follow-on question is what gets filled. Some options:

1) All cards that don't have summaries.

2) Some selectable set (perhaps by color as cliophoto suggested).

3) Only card that you are currently editing. I imagine a "fill" button in the extended keyboard.

Options 1) and 2) require some additional interface outside of the index card editor, and there are a couple of ways that I can think of to implement it:

1) A new switch in the Settings app that says something like "Autofill blank index cards." If this switch was on, Storyist would fill blank cards, but not cards that you've entered summaries. The benefit is that it doesn't clutter the interface. The downside is that it is more difficult to discover if you don't know it's there.

2) Replace the Add button in the normal toolbar with a Tools menu that includes the autofill setting. Since the iPad is all about simplicity, I'm generally going to be resistant to adding buttons for things that aren't used very frequently.

3) Add an autofill button in the Edit toolbar. A middle ground between the two.

The answer will depend partly on how important and frequently used the feature is. Please take a moment to vote in poll.

-Steve

I was actually fooled by the app description to believe that  autofill is already part of the app, so I am especially happy to see that Steve is thinking of adding that feature!

As always, the ideal situation would be to give users as many options as possible:

1    All cards autofilled

2    All cards summarized/notes, todos

3    Selected card(s) flipped from one setting to the other  (perhaps autofill on one side, notes on the other?)

Of course, remembering one's index card display setup per project (as opposed to app-wide) would be also very helpful. Different projects may call for different workspaces.

I personally like to write in chunks (=index cards) and move them around, so autofill is my first choice. 

But the ideal would be to have both:

First line of card: heading (for structural organization)

Next 3 or so lines: autofill text (the beginning of the actual fiction text of the section)

Bottom 3 or so lines: notes, to dos, etc.

Some visual graphic to separate these 3 areas would be nice (probably not colors, though, it might just be too much colors... Maybe just thick lines and/or font type?)

Perhaps tapping on the bottom notes area of the card could flip it over if there was more notes text to show... Then another tap would allow adding/editing the notes on the card

I like to see everything at once because for me one glance to determine something is the fastest and most efficient way of doing it (as opposed to taps, clicks, opening and closing windows, menus, etc.). For example, I would much prefer to have the yellow comments windows actually showing the comments (at least the beginning that will trigger my memory) versus blank yellow squares that just pique my curiosity, and having to open and close them (perhaps many times if you have many notes from months ago and you don't remember them!) can be annoying and can certainly slow down the work flow.

Dee

• 4 weeks later...

I voted for the 1st option, but would actually like not just "autofill" but that writing on the cards equals writing in the beginning of the documents (card as preview of top section of document, or, ***even better with scroll bar for whole document, that would be great!!!***) so one can write/edit documents while in index card view. That would seem the most intuitive to me.***

I am actually not using the index cards now, because some summary on the cards not really seems to help thinking/writing, nor helps with imported text files that have empty card but notes inside.

You're confusing Index Cards with a Scene List.

Index Cards are for summaries and notes, and I don't know any working pros who use them in the way suggested for change.

By all means, offer a toggle between summary/note Index Cards and cards as a Scene List, but do not get rid of the first option to appease the second.

You would be better served (and create much less confusion) by having Index Cards be purely for their traditional purpose of summary and notes, and implement a Scene List with collapsed/exploded view.

Then users can decide whether they want their true Index Cards for reference beside their script, or a navigable Scene List.

Archived