Storyist Forums

Project Goals & Accomplishments

Steve E

It has been mentioned in 22 other threads (I used Search to verify this) but it has no specific Feature Request thread of its own. So here's a list of what might be added as goal and accomplishment features:

Total word goal.

Total words remaining.

Session word goal.

Session words remaining.

Deadline date or period (e.g., 1/1/09 or 3-months).

Time left before deadline.

Number of writing sessions.

Time spent in each writing session, plus average and total over all sessions.

Words written in each session, plus average and total over all sessions.

The ability to merge any two session statistics since some sessions are very brief.

A timer for the time spent in a session plus an alarm that can be set for a specific time.

A counter that can be set to trigger an alarm at a specific word count.

I'm sure I left out some goal helpers and accomplishment stats scattered throughout the forum but you get the drift.

Anyone else have anything to add?

Not expecting this anytime soon,

-Thoth.

Well, since you asked: if we're requesting counters and stats, it would be marginally useful to have a syllable counter that calculates the average number of syllables per word in a selection. When I have a character who thinks they're smart and likes to use big words, this would be useful to ensure that I don't revert to my usual monosyllabic grunts and moans. I believe some early grammar checkers did something similar to judge the grade level of a composition.

IF

Well, since you asked: if we're requesting counters and stats, it would be marginally useful to have a syllable counter that calculates the average number of syllables per word in a selection. When I have a character who thinks they're smart and likes to use big words, this would be useful to ensure that I don't revert to my usual monosyllabic grunts and moans. I believe some early grammar checkers did something similar to judge the grade level of a composition.

IF

Lambseatoats and doeseatoats and littlelambseativy. Akid'lleativytoo. Wouldn't you?

Average syllables per word: 2.75

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.

Average syllables per word: 1.46

Big words do not a big mind make.

Off topic. I know.

-Thoth.

I didn't make a topic for this? Well, color me surprised. I know I mentioned the time in session thing before. Any and all of the aforementioned additions would be very helpful.

Both you and Steve and I mention session tracking in your Timestamp thread (of this month). Other time related features are mentioned in various threads throughout the forum (including my own suggestions for what to put in placards). Still other suggestions are just alluded to with links. I just thought it might be nice to put them all in one place.

Sorry. I didn't mean to step on your toes (or paint them the bright colors of surprise, although that might be fun!),

-Thoth.

...So here's a list of what might be added as goal and accomplishment features:

Total word goal.

Total words remaining.

Session word goal.

Session words remaining.

Can I second this? It would be a GREAT feature!

• 6 months later...
It has been mentioned in 22 other threads (I used Search to verify this) but it has no specific Feature Request thread of its own. So here's a list of what might be added as goal and accomplishment features:

Total word goal.

Total words remaining.

Session word goal.

Session words remaining.

Number of writing sessions.

Time spent in each writing session, plus average and total over all sessions.

Words written in each session, plus average and total over all sessions.

The ability to merge any two session statistics since some sessions are very brief.

A timer for the time spent in a session plus an alarm that can be set for a specific time.

A counter that can be set to trigger an alarm at a specific word count.

I'm sure I left out some goal helpers and accomplishment stats scattered throughout the forum but you get the drift.

Not expecting this anytime soon,

-Thoth.

As of version 1.5, you can now specify word count and writing time goals on a per-project and per-session basis and track them via a new tab in the Inspector panel. Specifically, you can track word count, remaining word count, elapsed time and remaining time. The Inspector provides a session timer so you can setup and track writing sprints (popular with NaNoWriMo participants) and you can set an alarm to let you know when you've reached your goal.

There is more I want to do here, but this should get you started ;)

-Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I'm actually working in Storyist again, I'm going to have more to say/more questions. For example:

The session goal seems to be: "I want to reach X amount on the word count", not "I want to write X amount of words". Am I wrong in this observation? If not, is there a way we could change it to the latter? I want to write 3k a day, but if I hit that, tomorrow I'm going to have to put in 6k, and 9k the next... and soon the session goal becomes overwhelming. Is there a way to change it to "X amount of words until you reach your session goal"? I see the option, but it's greyed out.

- Calli

Now that I'm actually working in Storyist again, I'm going to have more to say/more questions. For example:

The session goal seems to be: "I want to reach X amount on the word count", not "I want to write X amount of words". Am I wrong in this observation? If not, is there a way we could change it to the latter? I want to write 3k a day, but if I hit that, tomorrow I'm going to have to put in 6k, and 9k the next... and soon the session goal becomes overwhelming. Is there a way to change it to "X amount of words until you reach your session goal"? I see the option, but it's greyed out.

- Calli

Hi Calli,

The project goal tracks accumulated word count, but the session goal tracks the words written in the session. When you reach your goal, you'll see a check mark next to the goal (and hear a sound, if you've specified one).

To start a new session, hit the new button (the "+" button). Your new session will start tracking words written from that point.

-Steve

Archived