Storyist Forums
emoKid

Why does one's success push away others?

They actually performed Bye-Bye-Birdie at my school the other week. It was decent. The sets were awesome, and there was humor, but the overall show was iffy.

I had no idea it was a school standard. Frankly, I think anyone performing the play should first see the 1963 movie starring Janet Leigh, Dick Van Dyke, Ann-Margret (Olssen), Maureen Stapleton, and Jesse Pearson (as Conrad Birdie nee Elvis Presley).

Giving your regards to Broadway,

-Thoth.

I had no idea it was a school standard. Frankly, I think anyone performing the play should first see the 1963 movie starring Janet Leigh, Dick Van Dyke, Ann-Margret (Olssen), Maureen Stapleton, and Jesse Pearson (as Conrad Birdie nee Elvis Presley).

They performed it back at our sister high school way back then. It's a standard. My five-year-old goes around singing, "How lovely to be a woman."

Some of the singing in the movie actually irritated me a bit. Why do they sing it "bird-hee"?

IF

They performed it back at our sister high school way back then. It's a standard. My five-year-old goes around singing, "How lovely to be a woman."

At five? Precocious! Does she sing the part:

How lovely to be a woman

And have one job to do;

To pick out a boy and train him

And then when you are through,

You've made him the man you want him to be!

(This is a very subversive song!)

Some of the singing in the movie actually irritated me a bit. Why do they sing it "bird-hee"?

I noticed that too. At first I thought the then 22-year-old Ann-Margret was trying to be overly cute since the buxom sex-kitten was playing the just-turned-15-year-old Kim McAfee. But it was so consistent that I figured it was just written that way. I checked. It wasn't. Then I thought, maybe it's a Swedish thing (Ann-Margret being a Swedish immigrant). I was advised that it isn't. So I've gone back to my "trying to be cute" theory.

-Thoth-hee