Storyist Forums

Word Frequency

dangrgirl

I'd really like to see the option to analyze word frequency in my manuscript. This would help me figure out which words are my "crutch words" so that I can improve my writing.

Interesting. I can definitely see this as part of a larger statistical analysis feature for Storyist.

Seconded.

Good to hear from you LisaPS.

- Thoth

Interesting. I can definitely see this as part of a larger statistical analysis feature for Storyist.

Seconded.

Good to hear from you LisaPS.

- Thoth

That is an interesting idea. You can use the search feature to identify the number of times you use a particular word—once you've identified a culprit (hint: all and little are two frequent crutches). But a feature to identify the words authors don't know they're overusing would indeed be useful. It would have to overlook certain categories of words, though (conjunctions, articles, pronouns—any others?).

Best,

Marguerite

That is an interesting idea. You can use the search feature to identify the number of times you use a particular word—once you've identified a culprit (hint: all and little are two frequent crutches). But a feature to identify the words authors don't know they're overusing would indeed be useful. It would have to overlook certain categories of words, though (conjunctions, articles, pronouns—any others?).

Best,

Marguerite

Yeah. It's always the words you don't suspect that make the editor rip out his/her hair. ("If this guy uses pusillanimous one more time I'm setting fire to the manuscript!)

The program should overlook certain categories of words (conjunctions, articles, pronouns, the protagonist's name, etc) but I see this more as a "don't bother with these" list. Or, would you prefer that Storyist be able to know a conjunction when it sees one?

-Thoth.

This was something that was on the 1.0 list for a while. I'm always surprised to discover how often my characters "grin" as they "turn to face" another character in the course of a manuscript. It would be good to include phrase frequency too.

As long as we're talking about analysis, how about an adverb finder?

-Steve

As long as we're talking about analysis, how about an adverb finder?

I'm guilty of overuse of the dreaded "stealthily" - one of the most unstealthy of adverbs.

And I second a "phrase counter" although I'm curious as to how it could be implemented. Are we talking whole sentences only (e.g., "Gee willikers, Batman.") or any possible strings of words ("...in his hat...") or something in between?

- Thoth.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

Has anything ever come of this feature request? I know that there are various online word frequency checkers, but I hate the idea of pasting in my entire manuscript in order to use any of them. Scrivener has this feature, so I hope that this feature makes it to a future update of Storyist, and hopefully soon.