Storyist Forums

Old OS Compatibility?

Joolissa

Hey all!

I'm buying an old iBook off a friend of mine to use at school (so I don't kill my Macbook Pro again or get it lost/stolen etc. etc.) for notes and web browsing etc. I would like to put Storyist on it as well.. but I'm not sure that I will be able to get Tiger on it.... it has OSX 10.2.8 (which ever that is) ... so my question is.. will Storyist work with that OS?

Downgrading

- Jules

... I'm not sure that I will be able to get Tiger on it.... it has OSX 10.2.8 (which ever that is) ... so my question is.. will Storyist work with that OS?

Hi JG

Haven't a clue but Jaguar (10.2) was released in 2002, pre-dating the founding of Storyist Software by a year. So maybe. In any event you're smart to ask before you buy.

Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard — they're running out of big cats. I'm guessing they're saving "Cougar" for 10.7 and "Lion" for 10.8. "Kitty" for 10.9? Then onward into the mythical beasties!

Waiting to upgrade into my cyborg body (which has Storyist built in).

- Thoth.

Hey all!

I'm buying an old iBook off a friend of mine to use at school (so I don't kill my Macbook Pro again or get it lost/stolen etc. etc.) for notes and web browsing etc. I would like to put Storyist on it as well.. but I'm not sure that I will be able to get Tiger on it.... it has OSX 10.2.8 (which ever that is) ... so my question is.. will Storyist work with that OS?

Downgrading

- Jules

Hi Jules,

Unfortunately not. Storyist requires 10.4 or later.

-Steve

Cougar is the same as a Puma.. so I dunno if they'll use that....

Lets see.... they have.... Pallas Cat, Serval, Ocelot, Lynx, Bobcat, Caracal, Jaguarundi, and a bunch of others I didn't mention with less suitable names.. like... Flat-headed cat

I think it would be absolutely histerical if they put out a Lynx......take that Linux ... LOL.. okay okay.. that was bad.. I know...

Maybe they'll start using wild dog names... Dingo... Jackal... Timber Wolf... Coyote... Fox (Artic, Red, Grey, Fennec)... perhaps even Hyena?

Awaiting the Bastet and Anubis OS

- J

Hi Jules,

Unfortunately not. Storyist requires 10.4 or later.

-Steve

Drat it all!!!

I suppose it's pretty much useless to ask for a special edition eh?

Downgrading Pipe Dreamer

- J

Drat it all!!!

I suppose it's pretty much useless to ask for a special edition eh?

Downgrading Pipe Dreamer

- J

Storyist uses some features of the OS that are only available in Tiger and later. If you can convince Apple to port them, I'm game.

That said, you should be able to get Tiger for the machine you are buying.

-Steve

Well........ I'm getting the computer for $75... it's old and the CD drive is busted... so I'd rather not spend more than I spend on the computer to put Tiger on it...

I do have the disks that came with my Macbook Pro.. any idea if those would work with an ibook? ... if I can find a way to get some sort of CD drive hooked to it... (perhaps using it as a target disk?)

Looking for Loopholes

- J

Cougar is the same as a Puma.. so I dunno if they'll use that....

Is Cougar and Puma the same as Mountain Lion? I could see them using Mountain Lion.

Lets see.... they have.... Pallas Cat, Serval, Ocelot, Lynx, Bobcat, Caracal, Jaguarundi, and a bunch of others I didn't mention with less suitable names.. like... Flat-headed cat

Jaguarundi? You made that up! Nope, wait, you didn't. (Found it in the dictionary.)

I think it would be absolutely histerical if they put out a Lynx......take that Linux ... LOL.. okay okay.. that was bad.. I know...

:P

Maybe they'll start using wild dog names... Dingo... Jackal... Timber Wolf... Coyote... Fox (Artic, Red, Grey, Fennec)... perhaps even Hyena?

I vote for squirrels. Definitely squirrels. Or just rodents in general. At least before we stray into the insect kingdom. (Would anyone want an OS named for bugs?)

Awaiting the Bastet and Anubis OS

- J

NOW you're talking!

- Thoth.

Yes, a Mountain Lion is the same as Cougar/Puma

Hahaha.. yes... Jaguarundi is in fact a real cat as are the Flat-headed Cat, Sand Cat, Kodkod, Margay, ... and well.. just look here: http://www.agarman.dial.pipex.com/bco/spec_world.htm

I vote for weird animals... wouldn't Platypus be an awesome OS? How about Armadillo, Mudpuppy, Tarsier, Narwhal, Blobfish, Manatee, Kiwi, Olm, Kinkajou, Coati, or Echidna!

Insects would be cool though (and ironic)! Imagine! Mantis... Bumblebee... Honeybee... Black Widow...

I could go on and on and on and on

- Jules

Version 2 needs Tiger. But could an older version of Storyist (I'm thinking V1) run under Jaguar? Could you be happy with Version 1? Or for that matter, Jaguar?

Loopy for loopholes.

- Thoth.

Steve says no Storyist for Jaguar.... I've never used Jaguar... so I have no idea. I'm going to try to get Tiger on it, but I don't know how successful I'll be... if my Macbook Pro disks work and I could circumvent the busted CD drive it might be feasible.

- J

Steve says no Storyist for Jaguar.... I've never used Jaguar... so I have no idea. I'm going to try to get Tiger on it, but I don't know how successful I'll be... if my Macbook Pro disks work and I could circumvent the busted CD drive it might be feasible.

- J

That's the spirit!

- T

Yes, a Mountain Lion is the same as Cougar/Puma

Thank you. You've settled a bet.

Hahaha.. yes... Jaguarundi is in fact a real cat as are the Flat-headed Cat, Sand Cat, Kodkod, Margay, ... and well.. just look here: http://www.agarman.dial.pipex.com/bco/spec_world.htm

Thank you for the link. My cat knowledge definitely needs beefing up.

I vote for weird animals... wouldn't Platypus be an awesome OS? How about Armadillo, Mudpuppy, Tarsier, Narwhal, Blobfish, Manatee, Kiwi, Olm, Kinkajou, Coati, or Echidna!

Good lord! Apple should hire you for their marketing department.

Insects would be cool though (and ironic)! Imagine! Mantis... Bumblebee... Honeybee... Black Widow...

Got'cha! The Black Widow isn't an insect.

In the phylum Arthropoda there are several classes, two being Insecta (insects) and Arachnida (spiders). This means that spiders and insects are related, but they are not the same and spiders are not a type of insect.

- Ask.Com

But it's a nicely aggressive name for an OS.

I could go on and on and on and on

- Jules

Knowledge is golden.

- Thoth.

Haha... if only Apple would hire me!

Okay okay... but spiders classify as "Bugs" ... at least in my book insect+arachnids = bugs

- Juls

ps. must sleep now..... G'night Storyists

Okay okay... but spiders classify as "Bugs" ... at least in my book insect+arachnids = bugs

- Juls

ps. must sleep now..... G'night Storyists

Point taken.

I wish you pleasant dreams of big cats, bugs and weird animals, Juliebear.

Nighty-night.

- Thoth.

Archived