Storyist Forums

Separate line spacing/margin options for printing

orrenm

If I want to print out a copy for myself or for a friend, I may not want to reformat the entire manuscript, however I may want that one copy to be single spaced, in a smaller font, etc. It would be great if we could change up the line spacing and margins on printing. This may have been asked for previously, or be included in someone's more comprehensive request for formatting options, but I just wanted to mention it here.

Orren

Yeah. When I print out for other people to read (and not mark up) I generally do a cut and paste of the relevant chapter to TextEdit and then print. It would be nice to automate this process somehow (e.g., "Print Chapter" with an option of "Choose: Geneva 12, Single Space, 1 inch margins" or some limited list of purpose-specific options.)

So, Seconded.

- Thoth.

Thirded. The one thing that Scrivener does better, IMHO, is that you can set the formatting options separately for screen display and for print. There's a simple work-around, as Thoth indicates, but it involves using other programs, and Steve wants us to stay with Storyist as much as possible, right? :P

The feature has been requested before, but there are a lot of requests on the list, many already fulfilled, so it makes sense (to me) to bump the ones people really want up to the top again once in a while.

Marguerite

If I want to print out a copy for myself or for a friend, I may not want to reformat the entire manuscript, however I may want that one copy to be single spaced, in a smaller font, etc. It would be great if we could change up the line spacing and margins on printing. This may have been asked for previously, or be included in someone's more comprehensive request for formatting options, but I just wanted to mention it here.

Orren

The Export Assistant lets you reformat when exporting. What you could do is this:

1) Create a new project and modify the styles to reflect your desired print styles. Maybe name them Chapter Title (Printing), Section Text (Printing).

2) Save the file to disk and then import the styles to your manuscript using the Format > Styles > Import Styles command.

Then, when you want to send someone a differently-formatted version:

1) Export the file using the Export Assistant.

2) Use the style mapping step of the assistant to map the display styles to the print styles.

3) Print the exported file.

I realize the export-then-import process is a little clunky at the moment. I'm planning to add a styles catalog to make this less cumbersome. Then, you'd be able to simply choose an export styles heet from the catalog rather than having to import the styles to the manuscript you want to export.

-Steve

Archived