Storyist Forums

Invisible Bookmarks and Comments should not be deletable.

Steve E

Invisible Bookmarks and Comments should not be deletable by deleting the text in which they are imbedded..

I can easily have a paragraph into which I've placed several Comments or Bookmarks which are relevant to the entire Section. If I want to delete that paragraph (only), and the Comments and Bookmarks are visible, I have the option of moving them. If they are invisible I could easily have forgotten they are there and unintentionally delete them (i.e., out of sight out of mind).

Delete the entire paragraph and the invisible Comments and Bookmarks should still be sitting there, in a row, in their own paragraph, when they are made visible.

What do you think?

- Thoth.

Invisible Bookmarks and Comments should not be deletable by deleting the text in which they are imbedded..

I can easily have a paragraph into which I've placed several Comments or Bookmarks which are relevant to the entire Section. If I want to delete that paragraph (only), and the Comments and Bookmarks are visible, I have the option of moving them. If they are invisible I could easily have forgotten they are there and unintentionally delete them (i.e., out of sight out of mind).

Delete the entire paragraph and the invisible Comments and Bookmarks should still be sitting there, in a row, in their own paragraph, when they are made visible.

What do you think?

- Thoth.

Co-sign

What do you think?

- Thoth.

I think that deleting them is the correct behavior, but I could be talked into providing a dialog with a "don't ask me again" checkbox to warn when you are deleting hidden comments.

Most of the time, a comment relates to the text it is attached to. If Storyist didn't delete comments when you deleted the surrounding text, you'd end up with some very undesirable and confusing behavior. For example, deleting a large block of text (e.g. a section or a chapter) would result in a bunch of comments at a single location that had nothing to do with the text.

If you want to make a comment that relates to the whole section, either put it at a specific location you know to check, or better yet, put it on the collage for the section.

-Steve

I think that deleting them is the correct behavior, but I could be talked into providing a dialog with a "don't ask me again" checkbox to warn when you are deleting hidden comments.

Most of the time, a comment relates to the text it is attached to. If Storyist didn't delete comments when you deleted the surrounding text, you'd end up with some very undesirable and confusing behavior. For example, deleting a large block of text (e.g. a section or a chapter) would result in a bunch of comments at a single location that had nothing to do with the text.

If you want to make a comment that relates to the whole section, either put it at a specific location you know to check, or better yet, put it on the collage for the section.

-Steve

I don't typically write linearly. My Comments are usually about what I want to add there when I come back to it. And if "there" is deleted I'd want to add it somewhere else. But I wouldn't remember the Comment (or to use it elsewhere) if it's deleted with the "there".

As for the "very undesirable and confusing behavior", I would prefer "a bunch of comments at a single location that had nothing to do with the [surrounding] text" to losing the Comments entirely. The way I write my Comments this would be neither undesirable nor confusing. This is the way I use Comments but I'm sure this is different with other people.

So, speaking for myself (and TAS, I suppose) I would urge you to at the very least warn us if we're about to delete an invisible Bookmark or Comment. It's the polite thing to do.

- Thoth.

How about something that warns of deleting hidden comments and asks if you would like to convert all hidden comments and notes to a notebook entry?

Another way to go but I'd still want the warning that this was happening.

- Thoth.

Archived