Storyist Forums

Questions

rjh18

Attempting to work with split views and am encountering the following.

1. When I click in the project view both views get updated with the selection. It was my understanding that selecting one view and then clicking on the project element would populate only the selected view. To get around this I opened a new project view and then it seemed to work. Any ideas why this happened?

2. How do you link views so when you select an outline element in one view the matching section of the script is displayed?

3. In using the notebook whenever I hit return a popup appears asking me to select a style (i.e. Heading, body etc.). I just want to insert a blank line but seem unable to do this.

Hi Ralph.

1. When I click in the project view both views get updated with the selection. It was my understanding that selecting one view and then clicking on the project element would populate only the selected view. To get around this I opened a new project view and then it seemed to work. Any ideas why this happened?

It sounds to me like you've linked both views together. If, in 2-Workspaces Outline-View, you look at the bottom of the outline window you will see the linking placard (between the "+" and the gear). Unlinked, it looks like a "C" and a backwards "C". Linked, it looks like a partially overlapping "u" and "n". Click it to toggle back and forth.

2. How do you link views so when you select an outline element in one view the matching section of the script is displayed?

See above.

3. In using the notebook whenever I hit return a popup appears asking me to select a style (i.e. Heading, body etc.). I just want to insert a blank line but seem unable to do this.

If you hit return on a blank line (an empty paragraph) you get the styles selection menu. (It's actually rather handy.) If you like, just go back to the end of the line above (paragraph end) or the beginning of the line below (paragraph beginning) and hit return. There are other ways but that's how I insert a blank line.

Happy to help.

- Thoth.

If you hit return on a blank line (an empty paragraph) you get the styles selection menu. (It's actually rather handy.) If you like, just go back to the end of the line above (paragraph end) or the beginning of the line below (paragraph beginning) and hit return. There are other ways but that's how I insert a blank line.

In addition to Thoth's suggestion, there are a couple of ways:

1) Turn off the return key shortcut in the preferences.

2) Use Ctrl+Return to insert a soft return.

3) Type a space and then type return.

-Steve

In addition to Thoth's suggestion, there are a couple of ways:

3) Type a space and then type return.

I used to use number 3, which is just fine, but I'd often forget the space was there. Since I'd often use a blank line as a kind of place holder for dialog the sudden appearance of a 1-space indent would annoy me. (I am easily annoyed by software. :) ) But it is something easily fixed. I should have mentioned that technique, is all I'm saying. Sorry.

- Thoth.

Thanks guys. One more question:

I created a new style in one of my notes. When I create a new note that style disappears. How do I keep that style for all note?

Hi Ralph,

You can't currently. What you're really asking for is to be able to save a notebook entry template. It's on the list. In the mean-time, you can use the Format > Style > Import Styles command to import a style sheet from another file.

-Steve

Do I need to create the style sheet first and then export it?

Hi Ralph,

Create a new notebook entry (or script) and edit the styles to the point that you're happy with them and then export the file.

-Steve

Archived