Storyist Forums

Customizing Section Sheets

lmfields

For anyone who can possibly help, please, can you tell me...

I need to do more than just add customized entries for, let's say, a Character Sheet. I need to be able to customize and add new headers for sections within that sheet. For example, in the character sheet there are the headers: summary, physical description, character development, and notes. That's all fine but what I need and want is to change it so there are headers, some of them being: character profile, physical traits, psychological profile, and background history. So, how do I go about changing headers already there, adding new section headers and new entry points for those headers? I have tried searching the help menu but can't seem to find the answers which makes me wonder if it is something I can't do. Help please!

Thank you!

Linda

I need to do more than just add customized entries for, let's say, a Character Sheet. I need to be able to customize and add new headers for sections within that sheet. For example, in the character sheet there are the headers: summary, physical description, character development, and notes. That's all fine but what I need and want is to change it so there are headers, some of them being: character profile, physical traits, psychological profile, and background history. So, how do I go about changing headers already there, adding new section headers and new entry points for those headers? I have tried searching the help menu but can't seem to find the answers which makes me wonder if it is something I can't do. Help please!

Thank you!

Linda

Hi, Linda:

Changing those headers is not currently possible (other people have requested the feature, too, so I think it's on Steve's list).

Could you not set up fields for psychological profile and character profile? I usually use the notes area of the character sheet for both those and background information.

Best,

Marguerite

Thank you!

Linda

Hi Linda.

The short answer is that sheet modification is coming (although only Steve can tell you roughly when).

The long answer is that there is a formatting compromise necessary to achieve what you are suggesting: Use indents to create additional subheadings under the Notes heading. Some won't be necessary assuming things like physical traits are the same as Physical Description (you can add and delete description categories as desired by clicking on the category and choosing from the pop-up). Also, you can add links to Note sheets in the Notes section of other sheets. For example, you can create a Note sheet called "Bills History" and then add a link to the Character sheet's Note section. You would call the link "[[bills History]]", with brackets, without quotes. You can link back just by dragging the name of the Character sheet (in the Project View) into the Note sheet. (BTW: You might be tempted to put the link in the Summary section of a Character sheet but the Summary section has special properties and the link will be converted to text when you re-open the Storyist file.)

The much longer answer involves reprogramming Storyist's Character files. Better to try the above suggestion first.

I hope that helps.

-Thoth

And you can use styled (bold, italic, etc.) text in the Notes section, which you cannot elsewhere in the sheets. So you could write, say:

Psychological Profile

Details of psychological profile

Background

Character's History

Sheets can run to multiple pages, so this is probably the simplest solution. An alternative would be to set up Note Groups for Character, Psychological Profiles, etc., with a note for each character (or a group for Characters with one note for each character) and link both ways, as Thoth suggests. But if you prefer to have all your information about each character in one spot, then my suggestion does that.

Best,

M

Thank you everyone for you help and suggestions. Yeah, I'm frustrated but I'll get over it. I'll try just putting it in notes. Thank you!

Archived