Storyist Forums

Delay When Saving Manuscript

TexasRunner

Lately I've noticed that when I periodically Save my manuscript it's taking between 20 and 30 seconds to do so. Just long enough that I am concerned that the program has hung up. I have 48,416 words (249 pages; 50 chapters). Is this time delay normal for this size manuscript?

Many thanks,

TR

Lately I've noticed that when I periodically Save my manuscript it's taking between 20 and 30 seconds to do so. Just long enough that I am concerned that the program has hung up. I have 48,416 words (249 pages; 50 chapters). Is this time delay normal for this size manuscript?

Hi TR

Thirty seconds seems excessive to me too. To check, I just created 48K word Storyist file. It Saved to my main hard drive in 14 seconds (with no Time Machine backup). What are you saving to? Does your Storyist file contain many large images or Notes? What is the actual file size (not the word count)?

- Thoth

Hi TR,

Thirty seconds is excessive. In general, the time it takes to save depends on the number of different styles in use in the document, the number and size of the images in the project, the speed of your computer, the amount of RAM you have, how many other applications or system processes are running.

If Time Machine is running (that is, in the process of backing up), it could slow down your save.

If you have a relatively recent machine (are you running Snow Leopard?), I'd be happy to take a look at your project file and perform some measurements. If you're interested, just send it to the support address.

-Steve

Hi TR,

Thirty seconds is excessive. In general, the time it takes to save depends on the number of different styles in use in the document, the number and size of the images in the project, the speed of your computer, the amount of RAM you have, how many other applications or system processes are running.

If Time Machine is running (that is, in the process of backing up), it could slow down your save.

If you have a relatively recent machine (are you running Snow Leopard?), I'd be happy to take a look at your project file and perform some measurements. If you're interested, just send it to the support address.

-Steve

Many thanks for your reply. It occurred to me last night that I hadn't considered that it might be the additional images and notes. The entire project is 3.8 MB. I am running Snow Leopard on a Mac Book Air, 1.6 GHz proecessor, 2 MB RAM. I use the computer solely for writing. I back up to Time Machine but not while I am using Storyist. I am only using the basic styles - Chapter Headings/Section Separator/Section Text but I do have 50 chapters which may be a lot and represent a lot of style changes.

TR

Archived