Storyist Forums

Start Time and End Time fields on section sheets

nickfedoroff

What's the purpose of the start- and end time fields on section sheets? Do they refer to the timeline of the story? If so, are these times tracked anywhere? I'd love it if they were. I've been looking for a good timeline app to keep track of my various overlapping character storylines but nothing seems to work the way I need it to. If Storyist could keep track of how sections overlap in time, I would be ecstatic.

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Rivergod.

Timelines aren't tracked by Storyist yet. You might want to read some of the Timeline threads in Feature Requests to see how the discussion is going. You might even want to add some of your own timeline feature ideas.

I hope this is of some help.

As for the Start and End time fields in Section sheets: Which template are you using?

- Thoth

What's the purpose of the start- and end time fields on section sheets? Do they refer to the timeline of the story? If so, are these times tracked anywhere? I'd love it if they were. I've been looking for a good timeline app to keep track of my various overlapping character storylines but nothing seems to work the way I need it to. If Storyist could keep track of how sections overlap in time, I would be ecstatic.

Thanks,

Nick

Hi, Nick—

Welcome to the forums. As Thoth notes, the timeline is a much-requested feature that Steve has promised to consider for version 3. The start time/end time fields refer to your story. I don't use them for every section (in fact, I don't usually set up sheets for every section), but I do use them whenever I want to make mental notes about how different scenes relate to one another and how long they would take: e.g., Start time: 10 AM; End time: A few hours later; or Start time: Monday at dawn; End time: Noon. They are text fields, so you can enter whatever information you want.

The best way currently to keep track of overlapping story lines is to set up a new collection (TIMELINE), right/Control-click on the collection and choose "Edit 'TIMELINE' Preferences," make sure "Contents" is set to Plot Points and click the red button to close, then set up one plot point for each time you want to track. Switch to Outline or Index Card mode and you can record everything that happens in that period.

One of our members also has an innovative use of iCal to create overlapping story lines. You can find that in the threads Thoth linked to or by running a search of the forums for iCal. (It probably works best if you don't use iCal for anything else.)

Best,

Marguerite

The start time/end time fields refer to your story. I don't use them for every section (in fact, I don't usually set up sheets for every section), but I do use them whenever I want to make mental notes about how different scenes relate to one another and how long they would take...They are text fields, so you can enter whatever information you want.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear: These text fields do not appear in the Section sheets or Plot sheets for the Novel template. So please tell me exactly where you're seeing them.

The best way currently to keep track of overlapping story lines is to set up a new collection (TIMELINE), right/Control-click on the collection and choose "Edit 'TIMELINE' Preferences," make sure "Contents" is set to Plot Points and click the red button to close, then set up one plot point for each time you want to track. Switch to Outline or Index Card mode and you can record everything that happens in that period.

Okay. We know M really meant "best way IMHO". Personally, I find it a lot of work and prefer to just use a single Note with three columns: time (dates, hours, fuzzy values like "soon"); Chapter/Section (Chapter 4/Section OMG!); Significant events (Jane accidentally swallows a pineapple). This works for me. Other things will work best for other people, until Steve creates a Timeline feature.

One of our members also has an innovative use of iCal to create overlapping story lines. You can find that in the threads Thoth linked to or by running a search of the forums for iCal. (It probably works best if you don't use iCal for anything else.)

I thought this one was very clever. I tried it for a while but as M notes, "It probably works best if you don't use iCal for anything else", proved true so I gave up on this approach. Your experience may differ.

-Thoth

I'm sorry I wasn't clear: These text fields do not appear in the Section sheets or Plot sheets for the Novel template. So please tell me exactly where you're seeing them.

-Thoth

They are in the section sheets for the Novel template, Thoth. You have to click on a field and choose "Add field" from the pop-up menu, then you'll see the "Start time" and "End time" choices. They're predefined, but they don't display by default. See the attached screen shot, taken from the Novel Template with all predefined fields made active.

If you want the same information in plot points, I guess you can define two custom fields.

Yes, the timeline solution I suggested works well for me, not necessarily for everyone. :)

M

Archived