Storyist Forums

I thought autosave saved...

MAD Energy

Hi MAD,

This is the second time I thought autosave was saving all along (every 5 minutes) but when I opened my manuscript I discovered that I was 1,600 words shorter than I was when I closed the program. Is autosave really not saving and is there anyway to restore from an autosave?

Are you missing actual words or is the word count just different from what you expect when you open the file again? I'd be surprised if there was an issue with autosave, but one way to check is to install the Growl utility. Growl will post a message every time autosave occurs, and you'll find a file with the filename of your project with the suffix "(Autosaved)" in the directory with your project. You can COPY this file to another location and open it to check. Note that this autosaved version is removed when you save the file manually. Also, unless you've turn off the autobackup feature (which is different from autosave), you'll find daily backups of your project by choosing File > Backups, and you can restore from a backup if you want.

The other thing to check is the word count. If you select all and then remove either the first or last word from the selection, is the count what you expect it to be?

-Steve

Archived