Storyist Forums

Seamlessly working between Final Draft and Storyist

thealtruismsociety

I guess the first question is how to import a FD script as Storyist can't read the native file format. Is there any way to seamlessly work between the two (As there is no Storyist for my Windows laptop).

Storyist can import FDX files. FDX is the native format for Final Draft 8. If you don't have Final Draft 8, you can use the older FCF format.

-Steve

Storyist can import FDX files. FDX is the native format for Final Draft 8. If you don't have Final Draft 8, you can use the older FCF format.

-Steve

Thats what I thought Steve but when I navigate to the .fdx file in Storyist, the file is grayed out. :(

I'll try again.

Nope doesn't recognize FD6 or 8. :( Not sure why. The files are grayed out and unselectable.

Hi TAS,

Are you sure you're not trying to open an .fdr file? Before FD8, .fdr was the default format, and you can still save to that format with FD8.

In FD8, the default format changed to .fdx (which is what Storyist supports).

Final Draft 6 doesn't recognize .fdx files.

If you are trying to open an .fdx file, make sure that the file extension is "fdx."

-Steve

Thanks TAS. It looks like FD isn't installed on your machine (Finder doesn't present the FD file icon, only the generic one). Storyist should import it regardless, but that might be germane. I'll find a machine here to test on that doesn't have FD installed. Are you running 10.5 or 10.6?

-Steve

Thanks TAS. It looks like FD isn't installed on your machine (Finder doesn't present the FD file icon, only the generic one). Storyist should import it regardless, but that might be germane. I'll find a machine here to test on that doesn't have FD installed. Are you running 10.5 or 10.6?

-Steve

Yeah FD is not installed on the Mac, it's on my Windows laptop. I don't WANT it on my Mac lol.

Also I did get it imported with many problems.

1) It took me through a long complicated import process, I need it to just open.

2) My 51 pg FD script turned to 61 in Storyist.

1) It took me through a long complicated import process, I need it to just open.

So Storyist is recognizing the format now, or did you use another method?

You should also be able to simply drag the FDX file to the project view to import. No need to use the import assistant. You can turn off (uncheck) the import assistant if you need to.

2) My 51 pg FD script turned to 61 in Storyist.

I saw your post in the other thread. Make sure your Storyist margins match your FD margins. I believe the FD defaults are 1" top and bottom.

-Steve

I made Storyist the default app to open that file ext, that's all. I cannot open the file without Storyist going through the converter. It then adds a My Script Manuscript above my FD script. The margins are the same, 1 inch, yet my script is 10 pages longer in Storyist than FD. I just want be able to work in both, the file is saved in a Dropbox folder which syncs to both computers. I want to open in one then save, open in the other without stopping to format, readjust, etc.

Archived