Storyist Forums

Copy Editor Etiquette:

astillac

Let's be hypothetical for a moment:

Say that I have a friend who is a copy editor and has agreed to edit my manuscript. (True.) Say that I have a publisher interested in my work. (False) What would I tell said publisher - that it's been copy edited already? Or should I still have them do it? The reason I ask is that I think they outsource that type of work, don't they? I don't want to step on any toes.

- Calli

Say that I have a friend who is a copy editor and has agreed to edit my manuscript. (True.) Say that I have a publisher interested in my work. (False) What would I tell said publisher - that it's been copy edited already? Or should I still have them do it? The reason I ask is that I think they outsource that type of work, don't they? I don't want to step on any toes.

- Calli

Honesty is the best policy. As is full disclosure. Any publishing house would still want the opportunity to edit to its own standards (outsourced or not).

-Thoth.

- Calli

Hi, Calli:

I am one of the people to whom publishers outsource (academic publishers/nonfiction, in my case). I would say, go ahead and have your friend copy edit the book. You can tell a prospective agent or publisher that you've worked with an outside editor. The stakes for getting an agent/publisher are so high now that you're shooting yourself in the foot if you don't present the manuscript in as pristine a state as possible--plus lots of agents won't even look at your work if it hasn't already been edited. They see an unedited ms as a rough draft, basically.

Once you find a publisher, the publisher may choose to send it to a freelance editor. That freelance editor will put the manuscript into house style, which varies from publisher to publisher and is therefore something your friend can't anticipate (I work with three different houses and have to mentally juggle the requirements for each one). So you won't step on anyone's toes and you should expect that the publishing house editor will make changes--it doesn't reflect on your friend. (They may also catch things your friend missed: no one is perfect.)

The other point to consider is that many publishers today skimp on hiring freelance editors and proofreaders as a way of saving money, so asking your friend to do it ensures that at least someone has read your ms word for word. If your friend can also pick up holes in the story, inconsistent characterization, and stuff like that--there's sure to be some--so much the better. That's not, strictly speaking, part of copy editing, however.

Lucky you, to have such a friend!

Best,

Marguerite

I sort of do the same thing, I sent my last manuscript to two 'no-bs' friends who pick up on everything, including where the story might be flagging or something just isn't working out. It's invaluable to have that extra pair of eyes going over the work, especially a long work because you might get too close and not see those gaping holes. Neither are copy editors, but I trust them 100%.

PJ

If your friend can also pick up holes in the story, inconsistent characterization, and stuff like that--there's sure to be some--so much the better. That's not, strictly speaking, part of copy editing, however.

Lucky you, to have such a friend!

She can pick all those things up, said she would, and I'm so grateful for it. I'm very lucky!

I'm reassured that I'm going about this the right way. Thank you, guys.

- Calli

Archived