Storyist Forums

Quick search feature

codemer

One feature I use a bit too much is the "Look up in Dictionary" menu option when you right-click on a word. I would like to see an enhanced option that lets you look up a word or phrase on Google/Yahoo/Wikipedia, or what ever the user configures. I do a lot of web searches when I'm verifying my facts, and this would save me several dozen keystrokes a day at least. :)

IF

One feature I use a bit too much is the "Look up in Dictionary" menu option when you right-click on a word. I would like to see an enhanced option that lets you look up a word or phrase on Google/Yahoo/Wikipedia, or what ever the user configures. I do a lot of web searches when I'm verifying my facts, and this would save me several dozen keystrokes a day at least. :lol:

IF

The context menu currently has

* Search in Spotlight

* Search in Google

* Lookup in Dictionary

How about something like this:

* Search in Spotlight

* Search in

* Lookup in Dictionary

* Lookup in Wikipedia

The pattern there is local search, internet search, local dictionary, internet dictionary.

-Steve

The context menu currently has

* Search in Spotlight

* Search in Google

* Lookup in Dictionary

How about something like this:

* Search in Spotlight

* Search in <default search engine>

* Lookup in Dictionary

* Lookup in Wikipedia

The pattern there is local search, internet search, local dictionary, internet dictionary.

-Steve

That sounds good.

IF

• 5 months later...

Rather than make a new thread, I'll just dredge this one up from the depths. What dictionary is Storyist using for spelling checks? Is it at all possibly to use the Dictionary app wordlist? Sorry. Lots of questions from me lately.

Rather than make a new thread, I'll just dredge this one up from the depths. What dictionary is Storyist using for spelling checks? Is it at all possibly to use the Dictionary app wordlist?

Storyist uses the Dictionary app wordlist for the dictionary and the system spell-check list for spell checking.

Sorry. Lots of questions from me lately.

Bring 'em on B)

-Steve

Along those lines, do you know how I remove a misspelled word from the user dictionary that I accidentally added with a missed mouse click?

Thanks,

IF

AFAIK, there is no interface for removing them!

Customized spelling lists are stored in ~/Library/Spelling in a file named for the local. The English customizations would be in

~/Library/Spelling/en

The entries are just C (null-terminated) string, so you can just remove the offending spelling. Remember to zap the trailing zero.

-Steve

Oh. Interesting. I wonder why they don't match up. For example, "Sedgwick" is misspelled in the test, but it's in Dictionary. That's irritating. Eh, whatever.

Both the OS X Dictionary and the OS X Spell Checker leave room for improvement.

I've been looking at dict.org as a possible upgrade for the dictionary.

-Steve

Archived