Storyist Forums

Styles not working properly

CorStellae

Hello,

I don't know exactly what I may be doing wrong, but I've noticed that many times, when I apply a style, the text remains unchanged.

I'm particularly having this problem with bulleted and numbered paragraphs. I've created three different styles: bullets, numbered paragraphs, and paragraphs with letters (a., b., c...). The lettered ones should be a second level of hierarchy, so I get something like this:

1. Text

a.

b.

c.

Or something like this:

• Text

-

-

-

So I formatted my paragraphs, created new style from selection and started to apply it to my text. Since I'm bringing my document from Scrivener, what I'm trying to do is to set the styles for the whole document, so it's easier to manage in Storyist. It sort of worked at the begining, but only with paragraphs already bulleted. But if I have a different style of bullets or numbering, and try to change it to the right one by applying my new style, I find out that the paragraph doesn't really change at all. That forces me to do all manually. But since there is some sort of style in there, clic enter, all my work gets lost: for example, a numbered list becomes a bulleted list after I had already changed the "list" characteristicis and in spite the style it's suposedly applied.

What can I do to fix this?

P.S.: I have worked with style sheets in Word, InDesign and even in last century (literally) versions of QuarkXPress, so I get the concept of working with styles; but right now I don't know how to fix these ones.

Hi CorStellae,

Hello,

I don't know exactly what I may be doing wrong, but I've noticed that many times, when I apply a style, the text remains unchanged.

I'm particularly having this problem with bulleted and numbered paragraphs. I've created three different styles: bullets, numbered paragraphs, and paragraphs with letters (a., b., c...). The lettered ones should be a second level of hierarchy, so I get something like this:

1. Text

a.

b.

c.

Or something like this:

• Text

-

-

-

So I formatted my paragraphs, created new style from selection and started to apply it to my text.

When you create a new style from a selection, you're creating a paragraph style (a collection of the font, alignment, and spacing attributes). The paragraph style doesn't specify/retain list settings, so when you apply a style to a list it won't affect the list.

Unfortunately that means you can't use styles to create or reformat lists. You'll need to use the Format > Text > List menu for that.

Support for list styles has come up a time or two before. There wasn't much interest at the time, but it is certainly something I'd consider for a future release.

-Steve

When you create a new style from a selection, you're creating a paragraph style (a collection of the font, alignment, and spacing attributes). The paragraph style doesn't specify/retain list settings, so when you apply a style to a list it won't affect the list.

Unfortunately that means you can't use styles to create or reformat lists. You'll need to use the Format > Text > List menu for that.

I see… That would definitely explain why it didn't apply any list formatting at all. :P

Well, I'll remember that. Thank you. In that case, it would definitely help a lot if I can add letters and hyphens to my lists on the iPad. I believe I can do it manually, after using the list tool, but it would be helpful if it was already an option.

Thank you again.

Archived