Storyist Forums

Flash Drive?

MAD Energy

I'm a college student and I'm not always able or around to use my own personal laptop and I don't want to install Storyist onto school computers. I was wondering if it were viable to run Storyist from a flash drive?

That's an interesting question. I used to hear about a few models of flash drives that allowed you to uniquely identify their hardware. The license file on the drive could incorporate the Flash ID (as opposed to your computer ID) and would check it before Storyist ran. That way Steve wouldn't have a million bootleg Storyist programs running around. But that would mean you'd have to buy such a flash drive.

Perhaps the next incarnation of Storyist will be Storyist for the Cloud.

I like your avatar, Mad ∑nergy.

-Thoth

Hi MAD ∑nergy,

I'm a college student and I'm not always able or around to use my own personal laptop and I don't want to install Storyist onto school computers. I was wondering if it were viable to run Storyist from a flash drive?

You should be able to run the trial version from a flash drive with the usual caveats that it will be SLOW.

When you enter a license code, it is saved on the machine you're using, so it probably would not be very much fun to keep entering your code every time you launch the app.

-Steve

Perhaps the next incarnation of Storyist will be Storyist for the Cloud.

Storyist for Cloud would be fantastic! With all my classes I'm constantly switching computers and it would be great if I could just sign on and continue writing no matter which computer I were using.

I like your avatar, Mad ∑nergy.

Why thank you, Thoth! It's just something I created playing around in Photoshop.

Hi MAD ∑nergy,

You should be able to run the trial version from a flash drive with the usual caveats that it will be SLOW.

When you enter a license code, it is saved on the machine you're using, so it probably would not be very much fun to keep entering your code every time you launch the app.

-Steve

Hmm... that's a bummer. I purchased Storyist after NaNo last year so I'd have the deal with typing my code in every time and a slow program isn't that appealing either. Perhaps this is a stupid question but I'll admit that I'm not tech savvy. If I were to run Storyist from an external harddrive, would I still run into the same problems?

Hmm... that's a bummer. I purchased Storyist after NaNo last year so I'd have the deal with typing my code in every time and a slow program isn't that appealing either. Perhaps this is a stupid question but I'll admit that I'm not tech savvy. If I were to run Storyist from an external harddrive, would I still run into the same problems?

A hard drive would take care of the slowness. If it was a bootable drive, yoiu could connect the drive, set it as the startup drive, and then reboot--assuming you have the ability to set the startup drive (which you may not in a shared computing environment).

-Steve

• 2 months later...

I'm a little late to this party, but in case anyone else is ever looking for information...

I use a 32GB Super Talent USB 3.0 Express RAM Cache for all my portable needs, and it's ludicrously fast. Iirc, it was the fastest USB 2.0 flash drive available for awhile, and it's one of few flash drives I can run FireFox from due to it's impressive random read/write of small blocks speed. It's essentially an SSD with a USB connector on it =)

It was also $73 from superbiiz o.O (cheaper than Amazon or NewEgg.... but... yeah, it's still expensive by flash drive standards lol.

FWIW I just ran Storyist from it, and it was great, but I can't comment on the license codes as I was using it on the Power Mac I always use Storyist on.

Archived