Storyist Forums

Biggest Apple Store Ever!

Steve E

New York City just got a stunning new tourist attraction. Apple’s largest-ever retail venue opened on Friday (today) at the historic Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan, as swarms of fans camped out for hours to be among the first to enter.

- Mashable Tech (Dec. 09, 2011)

No, I didn't get to see this in person, yet, but click here for some pictures.

-Thoth

No, I didn't get to see this in person, yet, but click here for some pictures.

-Thoth

I got an email from Apple announcing the opening. NYC has the coolest Apple Stores! I'm so jealous. I'm right in between the two closest ones, Lancaster and Allentown. Both are about a half hour away. At least they could be five minutes away like the store near my parents'.

Thanks for sharing the photos. I wonder how long the line got.

-W

• 2 weeks later...

Outside. Definitely. Although I can't see how they'd prevent people from getting into the Great Hall.

-T

Is the Great Hall the place at the bottom of the steps? I guess some sort of barrier rope thingy for the people waiting in line but I would imagine they would have to let everyone else move around as usual.

-T

Is the Great Hall the place at the bottom of the steps?

Yes.

I guess some sort of barrier rope thingy for the people waiting in line but I would imagine they would have to let everyone else move around as usual.

Maybe. But I was thinking of all those people getting off all those trains.

I know they had black plywood barriers up but New Yorkers can be a nosey bunch.

Perhaps they want all the foot traffic from the looky-loos.

***shrug*** (we need an emoticon for this)

-T

• 3 months later...

Hello AcaiBerry.

Welcome to the Forums.

Yes, the responses to the new store have been good.

Sadly, there is no ramp access to most of it. **sigh**

Good to hear from you.

-Thoth

No very forward thinking of them and a barrier for all those folks who need the ramps. Let's hope they change it.

W

No very forward thinking of them and a barrier for all those folks who need the ramps. Let's hope they change it.

Very true. But I think they are installing a glass-enclosed lift (like they did in the Apple Store on 59th Street).

So perhaps they were forward thinking, just not in a timely manner.

Let's hope.

Perspicacity; thy name is Apple.

-T

Very true. But I think they are installing a glass-enclosed lift (like they did in the Apple Store on 59th Street).

So perhaps they were forward thinking, just not in a timely manner.

Let's hope.

Perspicacity; thy name is Apple.

-T

I hope the glass-enclosed elevator is a reality soon. I wish they could put in a temporary ramp until then. Without one or the other, many people won't have access.

W

I hope the glass-enclosed elevator is a reality soon. I wish they could put in a temporary ramp until then. Without one or the other, many people won't have access.

I hope so too but I doubt Apple will find it easy to get permission to make significant modifications to Grand Central Station. NYC is pretty good about granting modification permits but there seems to be a Historic Landmark Exception in the Persons With Disabilities Act. (BTW: There is no elevator access to the actual train platforms from Grand Central North; handicapped access is provided through the main terminal.) Notice that Apple didn't make any modifications to the building's architecture (inside or out) when they set up shop. Permits may be pending.

-Thoth

Archived