Storyist Forums

Organizing in Parts

Eric

Having a lot of fun learning to use Storyist. Thanks for a great program.

I'm inclined to organize two of my novel projects into big parts; e.g., three to five major parts or "books" in a novel, with a number of chapters in each part, and a number of sections in each chapter. Any suggestions on a good way to do this? I thought of starting each part as it's own manuscript, but this seems cumbersome and wouldn't work for a trilogy, say, where you might already want three manuscripts in one project.

Speaking of trilogies, is it better to do each novel as a separate project or as a manuscript within a trilogy project?

Suggestions or directions to previous discussion on these topics much appreciated.

Eric

Hi, Eric:

Try the discussion here, which despite the title addresses the question you're raising and includes, in Steve's post, useful links to a tutorial video and other information.

As for the trilogy, I personally prefer to keep the manuscripts in separate projects so that the file doesn't become too large. So that I don't have to recreate all the character and setting information for each book, I wait until I feel reasonably certain that I have book 1 set up as I expect to keep it, then save a Template (through the File menu) with the name of the series. In each individual project, I have folders under Settings and Characters for "Not Used in This Book." That way I don't delete something I may later decide I need.

But other Storyists do keep all their manuscripts in one project and are happy with the results. So it's up to you. There are advantages either way.

Welcome to the forums,

Marguerite

Thanks for the speedy reply, Marguerite. Looks like this will answer all my questions on this subject. Sorry to bring up previously well-covered topics; I'm still learning to navigate all the Storyist resources, and nothing turned up in my forum search.

Eric

But other Storyists do keep all their manuscripts in one project and are happy with the results. So it's up to you. There are advantages either way.

I think I'm one of those. :) I like keeping all the manuscripts for a series "under one roof" so to speak, so that I don't have to duplicate all the common information, and so on. Storyist has great functionality for grouping, so that makes it a snap.

Orren

Archived