Storyist Forums

duplicate file

dennis7490

I'm not exactly sure if i described this right, but:

Under scripts i have the 1rst 10 pages of a screenplay. Let us call it PROJECT ONE

Under that, slightly indented, as though it were a scene is a duplicate of those ten pages with the same name, PROJECT ONE. Stoyist is looking at those ten pages as though it were a scene, because then it lists the scenes, INT., etc. Hopefully that is clear.

What "window" do i continue writing the main script in?

Also, Do I delete the one i do not write in?

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis,

I'm guessing that you brought in your 10 pages at once and haven't separated it into scenes. Storyist uses scenes/sections to store your text, so as soon as you create a manuscript, it sets up one scene/section to hold the text. To create a new scene, type # on a line by itself and style it as Section Separator. If you don't create a new one, you could have 100 pages of screenplay in a single scene.

The list on the left lets you keep track of your scenes. By default, it names them after the Scene Heading. You can change that name to whatever you like. The text itself is in the main window (the big one to the right of the list).

My guess is that you delete nothing but just work with the text in the main window, adding scenes as needed. If you have somehow managed to duplicate your 10 pages, that's a different problem.

In short, the text only appears to be stored under PROJECT ONE. It's actually stashed in the scene.

I created a screen shot to make this more visually clear, but the forums have become cranky about uploading JPEGs; I don't know why. Still, you can see the process in operation by opening a new Storyist Project based on Screenplay. There is text in the main window and a list of scenes under "My Manuscript." You navigate from one scene to the next by clicking on it in the list or scrolling through in the main window.

Hope that helps,

Marguerite

Archived