Storyist Forums

changing a character's name

dennis7490

How do i change a character's name throughout the script?

Thanks,

Dennis

p.s. i actually do try to find these things out on my own, but for some reason every time i put in a search question, like "change character name", or a number of variations of that, nothing comes up.

To change a character's name in the Project View, double-click on the name and type a new one. Links to that character in other sheets will update automatically.

To change a character's name in text (manuscript, notes, sheets), use the search-and-replace feature. Choose Find from the Edit menu (or Command-F), type the original name in the Find box and the new name in the Replace box, then click Replace All.

There is no handy-dandy way to change all occurrences everywhere. Changing the script is easy, but you have to change text references (as distinct from links) in each sheet/note individually. :( I've changed names at least five times, and each one was a total pain.

You can leave the Find box open as you click your way through, though, and hit Replace All again each time you access a new sheet.

If you were searching the documentation, I'd suggest typing "search and replace." But this is a Mac function that Storyist is making use of, so it may not be in the Storyist help files.

Best,

M

Archived