Storyist Forums

Style and page size issues

smac1314

Hi,

I set my writing environment to reflect what I hope to see on the printed page and as a result I'm getting a couple of strange problems.

1) If I set my page for a custom size, the text disappears after Chapter 1. I can see that the chapters and sections still exist but I can't see the text on the page.

2) Every time I start the program in the morning I have to edit my styles to show the correct line spacing.

They are minor if frustrating issues.

I'm on Mountain Lion on a 2012 Macbook Pro.

Kind regards

Hi smac,

Welcome to the forums.

1) If I set my page for a custom size, the text disappears after Chapter 1. I can see that the chapters and sections still exist but I can't see the text on the page.

Could you let me know what size/parameters you're using along with which version of Mountain Lion you're running? I've attempted to reproduce your results on 10.8.2 with Storyist 2.4.2 using the default Novel template with a custom page size of 5 x 7.

So far no luck:

CustomPageSize.png

2) Every time I start the program in the morning I have to edit my styles to show the correct line spacing.

Version 2.4.3 (currently in testing) fixes a line spacing issue. I'll PM you a link to the beta and you can see if this resolves your problem. If not, we can investigate further.

-Steve

Hello, I am also having to redo all my styles each time I restart storyist...it is very frustrating, I have a 40,000 word ebook and it takes a lot of time each day to fix this, can you send me the link to beta also ?

Also I have a problem, that when I have multiple styles set, so for example, I have a heading, then I have a style for an intro quote, and then a first paragraph style with no indent, and then a body text style with indent for remaining paragraphs until next header is encountered, but when I export I only get the body text style with all paragraphs indented in the resulting .mobi or epub formats. When I look in Storyist though, the styling is correct. So there is something wrong with the export I think. This kind of a major issue as I have a deadline approaching and do not know how to solve this problem.

David, Helsinki

Hi, also I am running Storyist 2.4.2 with Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and I am trying to use 24pt line spacing, first line paragraph indenting of 1.27 and each time I close storyist (first I always save my storyist files) then I lose all my styling settings... I have created separate styles for 1stPara for first paragraph no indenting, custom Body Text (with line indent set to 1.27 on first line of para) and then I have some custom header font sizes also... and these all get lost each time I save and close my storyist file.

I hope you can help... steer me in right direction. I think that storyist is a good tool, but it need to be able to save those styles...

Cheers, David in Helsinki.

Hi smac,

Welcome to the forums.

Could you let me know what size/parameters you're using along with which version of Mountain Lion you're running? I've attempted to reproduce your results on 10.8.2 with Storyist 2.4.2 using the default Novel template with a custom page size of 5 x 7.

So far no luck:

post-1-0-72987500-1362592349_thumb.png

Version 2.4.3 (currently in testing) fixes a line spacing issue. I'll PM you a link to the beta and you can see if this resolves your problem. If not, we can investigate further.

-Steve

Hi cyberdave,

Hello, I am also having to redo all my styles each time I restart storyist...it is very frustrating, I have a 40,000 word ebook and it takes a lot of time each day to fix this, can you send me the link to beta also ?

Will do.

Also I have a problem, that when I have multiple styles set, so for example, I have a heading, then I have a style for an intro quote, and then a first paragraph style with no indent, and then a body text style with indent for remaining paragraphs until next header is encountered, but when I export I only get the body text style with all paragraphs indented in the resulting .mobi or epub formats. When I look in Storyist though, the styling is correct. So there is something wrong with the export I think. This kind of a major issue as I have a deadline approaching and do not know how to solve this problem.

It's not a problem with the export. Storyist generates ePub and Kindle files that are compatible with a wide range of readers, some of which aren't capable of supporting all of the formatting that Storyist supports on your computer.

I see that you started a separate thread for that (thanks), so let's continue the discussion there.

-Steve

Archived