Storyist Forums

"Clash of the Fae" Published. WooHoo!

Shandor

I was so happy when my first 200 copies of Clash of the Fae came in I couldn't think straight. It was the first story I wrote and published through Createspace. Storyist was great for making it happen!

It was written as a backstory for a Steampunk event we had here in Troy, NY. If you are into steampunk and magic, maybe you might like this.

I learned a lot about formatting, getting it into a readable form, the trials and tribulations of trying to get people to proofread it (jeesh).

Anyway, if you are interested its available at Amazon as a book or Kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/Clash-Fae-Troy-Steampunk-Novella-ebook/dp/B00NOEGM06

• 1 year later...

Hi Shandor,

Yours is an old post, but I only joined the forums today.

Congratulations on publishing your story and I hope it is selling well for you on Amazon.

If you get this, would you answer a couple of questions that are bothering me.

You wrote in Storyist and published on CReatespace.

seems to me the novel format in Storyist is geared for submissions to agents and mainline publishers

not for CReeatespace. Example- you would not want Courier as a font, or double spacing, or first chapter line indentations etc.

for Createspace - neither would you want straight quotes instead of smart quotes.

How did you get over this? Did you have to export into RTF and than change all the formatting to make it Createspace robot friendly

and acceptable to them? Seems a whole lot of extra work to me when it can be done without writing the type rescript in Storyist first.

Like I said i am a newbie here and to Storyist. Is it possible to format a Storyist template with Creatspace suitable formatting?

IT would seem to be the way to go, in which case, how does one get over Storyist’s action of changing smart quotes in imported text

to straight quotes which are anathema to CS. (See Storyist User Guide)

Grateful for your feedback-

Hi, Hobnails, and welcome to the forums,

You could download the CreateSpace template for the size that interests you and alter Storyist's styles, margins, etc., to match. When you have everything the way you want it, choose File > Print, but Print to PDF instead of to your printer. You may have to tweak it a bit to make it work (I export to RTF and typeset the final, final version in InDesign, so I haven't tried to upload such a file to CreateSpace), but all the pieces are there in Storyist.

Storyist does not always change smart quotes to straight quotes. But if yours has, you can change them back. Go to the Edit Menu > Substitutions > Smart Quotes (this assumes you are in Mac Storyist), then Edit > Find and click Replace, then enter " in both the find and replace boxes and click All.

If you're in the iPad app, it's still possible, but someone else will need to give you the sequence; it may be a bit more cumbersome.

Best,

Marguerite

Archived