Storyist Forums

Relations

Djistus

I was wondering wether I can link characters with each other, like broters or sisters. I know you can put their names in the summary of a character, but I was wondering if there is a way to get a link to characters within another character description.

I was wondering wether I can link characters with each other, like broters or sisters. I know you can put their names in the summary of a character, but I was wondering if there is a way to get a link to characters within another character description.

Hello Djistus, and welcome to the Forum.

The most direct way is to insert a Link to the second Character Sheet from within the first Character Sheet.

From within the (first Character) Sheet (e.g., the Summary or Note part) click a spot, choose from the Main Menu, Edit>Insert>Link, click on the Sheet you want to link to from the menu presented, then click on the Insert button at the bottom of the menu. The menu folds up and a named link is inserted. Clicking on this link will take you to the (second Character) Sheet you wanted.

Another way of associating Character Sheets is to put them in a Character Group, like The Smith Family. It's not linking but it's the method I'd probably use for the example you specified. Choose from the Main Menu, Story>Add Character Group. The new group will appear in the Project Pane. Name it (e.g., The Smith Family), and drag the appropriate Character Sheets into it.

We would all like to learn of your experiences with Storyist. And if you come up with a new and useful way of using Storyist, please let us know.

-Thoth

Hi Djistus,

Welcome!

Thoth mentioned a couple of good solutions. Here is a third:

1. Visit a character sheet.
  2. Click on a field under "Physical Description" and choose Add Field > Custom...
  3. A dialog will appear. Choose a label for the new field (e.g. "Relation" or "Brother") and change the type popup to "Character".
  4. Click OK.

You'll now have an additional field for the relationship and typing in the field will auto-complete your existing character names.

I realize that "Relation" is technically not a "Physical Description" field. I'm planning to make the form titles customizable in a future release.

-Steve

I would like to thank the both of you. It's always nice to know there a lot of people who know a lot more about Storyist than I do.

@Steve: Relation is indeed not really a physical description but it's also possible to change the "physical description" to "personal information".

Again, thank you both for your answer and fast reply.

Archived