Storyist Forums

Quote of the day

marguerite

A new topic for posting our favorite comments on the art of writing. This one comes from J.K. Rowling, delivered during an interview with the Harvard University Gazette in preparation for her recent Commencement address.

“You have to resign yourself to wasting lots of trees before you write anything good. That’s just how it is. It’s like learning an instrument.”

Best,

Marguerite, tree-waster extraordinaire :lol:

One of my favorite quotes on writing is by Winston Churchill...honest!

Writing a book is an adventure. To begin with, it is a toy and an amusement; then it becomes a mistress, and then it becomes a master, and then a tyrant. The last phase is that just as you are about to be reconciled to your servitude, you kill the monster, and fling him out to the public. - Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

For other hilariously dry Churchill quotes may I suggest the John Petrie Collection.

-Thoth

One of my favorite quotes on writing is by Winston Churchill...honest!

For other hilariously dry Churchill quotes may I suggest the John Petrie Collection.

-Thoth

I love Churchill. He was prime minister when I was a kid in the UK, and the sound of that gravelly voice still takes me back.

Best,

M

Here's another I rather like,

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Reminds me of my childhood in the Glorious Bronx, sitting in front of the TV, watching You Bet Your Life. Marx and Churchill have a lot in common: they both have mass; they both occupy space; they are both members of the same species, race and gender; they both wear pants (most of the time); and they both smoke cigars.

-Thoth.

Archived