Storyist Forums

Random Weirdness in 1.5.1

astillac

Yeah, the title pretty much sums it up. I upgraded today, and four of my fourteen chapters are missing the first letter of the chapter headings and the first letter of the lists I had made under those chapter headings. Strange?

Hmmm... The difference between 1.5 and 1.5.1 was very small and in a place that is as far from the code that might affect this as I can imagine. I'll contact you off forum to debug further. Is there a chance that this is unrelated to the upgrade?

Thanks for the report.

-Steve

There's absolutely a chance, I just thought it might be related because that was the last thing I had done before opening the file.

Sorry. That sounded a tad defensive, didn't it? :)

Thanks for the test file you sent. It looks like each case involves a chapter heading immediately followed by a bulleted list. I'll investigate and post what I find. In the mean time, you can retype the missing letters and you should be all set.

-Steve

I'll investigate and post what I find.

Where does this man find the time to get any of his NaNo writing done?

Just Curious,

-Thoth.

BTW: Calli, you have my sympathy with regards to your "random weirdness". I use lists all the time but I've never encountered your missing letters problem. Truly weird. Impishly random.

BTW: Calli, you have my sympathy with regards to your "random weirdness". I use lists all the time but I've never encountered your missing letters problem. Truly weird. Impishly random.

Calli has the touch. Turns out this wasn't a 1.5.1 issue, but a lurking bug in the list handling in the manuscript. Here are the steps if you want to play along at home.

1. Create a new Novel.
  2. Create a new notebook entry.
  3. Create a list in the notebook entry. (Format > Text > List...)
  4. Copy and paste the list into the manuscript.
  5. Delete the bullet and surrounding two tabs from one of the list items.
  6. Save.
  7. Reopen.
  8. Notice that the first three characters in the list item where you deleted the bullet are missing.

The work-around is to reapply the appropriate style to the item where you deleted the bullet.

-Steve

Calli has the touch. Turns out this wasn't a 1.5.1 issue, but a lurking bug in the list handling in the manuscript. Here are the steps if you want to play along at home.

1. Create a new Novel.
  2. Create a new notebook entry.
  3. Create a list in the notebook entry. (Format > Text > List...)
  4. Copy and paste the list into the manuscript.
  5. Delete the bullet and surrounding two tabs from one of the list items.
  6. Save.
  7. Reopen.
  8. Notice that the first three characters in the list item where you deleted the bullet are missing.

The work-around is to reapply the appropriate style to the item where you deleted the bullet.

-Steve

Okay, I've tried it. (Never let it be said I'm one who doesn't play along.)

I deleted everything left of the text (i.e., the • and tab) and saved. When I returned not only were the first three text characters in the list item where I deleted the bullet missing, but the bullet ("•") itself was back.

Just to add a little more randomness to the weirdness, when I tried this with a four-letter word (no, not that one) only the first two characters went missing.

Calli does indeed have the touch. You are a lucky man.

-Thoth.

I can also make wires tangle themselves and streetlights turn off by walking underneath them.

Best check to see that the good people of Strafford County aren't erecting a bonfire on your lawn.

Witches are people too.

-Thoth.

PS: When you can magically untangle wires and bring dead bulbs back from the dead, let me know. I think I can get you a spot on Letterman.

Archived