Storyist Forums

What's New in V2

Steve

Storyist 2 has a new look and over two dozen new features. Perhaps more importantly to version 1 users, some of the views, menu items, and toolbar buttons have changed.

Here is a guide to some of the most significant changes:

1) Unified Views

In version 1, there were two views: a manuscript view that displayed text documents, and the storyboard that displayed items as items on a corkboard or in an outline.

In version 2, this separation has been removed. You can view items as text, outline, or storyboard in any view. To switch between the views, used the View menu (View > as Text, View > as Outline, View > as Storyboard) or the buttons at the right side of the new navigation bar.

In version 1, the "Storyboard" toolbar button was responsible for opening and closing the storyboard. You won't find the Storyboard button in version 2 (since there is no longer a distinction between view types); to close a split view, click the Workspaces button and choose the "Single View" workspace.

2) The Navigation Bar

The gray bar below the toolbar is the navigation bar. The Forward and Back buttons have moved from the toolbar to this control so that it is clearer what view forward and back act on. Next to the Forward and Back buttons, you’ll see one or two popup buttons. The first is the history popup and shows the current history item. Click on it (or press Control+1) to select another item in the history list.

The second popup appears when viewing manuscripts and scripts and provides a quick way to move from section to section or scene to scene.

3) Split Views and Workspaces

You can now split your views horizontally and vertically. Split views can themselves be split. This lets you set up quite complex views. Since it can take a few clicks to get your views set up like you want them, Storyist 2 allows you to take snapshots of your workspace for later recall.

The Workspaces button in the toolbar lists the available workspaces (snapshots) and lets you quickly change between them.

There are several ways to take snapshots of your current workspace. The easiest is just to choose Window > Workspaces > New Workspace. This causes the Workspaces panel to appear, which shows a thumbnail of the current workspace and lets you switch between them (using the cursor and return keys). The snapshots even remember whether or not you were in full-screen view.

4) The Project Menu

The Story menu in version 1 has been renamed “Project” (to reinforce the connection with the Project view) and reorganized. It lets you add new project items (manuscripts, characters, settings, etc...) as well as chapters, sections, and scenes. It also offers a way to edit preferences for project items. I won’t cover them in detail here (check the Apple Help for information) other than to say that this is where you can control the new section and scene sheet features.

5) New Section and Scene Sheet Features

In version 1, Storyist automatically created section and scene sheets for each section in the manuscript or script and automatically synchronized the title and summary of the sheet with that of the section or scene.

In version 2, you have the option of turning that off. You can create sheets independently of a position in the manuscript and assign them to the manuscript later. You can also reassign a section sheet to another section if you wish. Assignment (or attachment) of a sheet to a particular section is accomplished by dragging the sheet to the collage of the section or scene of interest.

You can control the settings by selecting a manuscript or screenplay and choosing Project > Edit Preferences, and un-checking the “Create Sheets Automatically” checkbox.

5) The Collage View

Unlike the corkboard, which displays a group of story elements (e.g. characters, settings, scenes), the Collage view displays the items related to (associated with) an individual story element. You can drag items from the Project view to the collage to make the association.

The collage view can contain other project view items, images, and comments.

Cool tip: If you split your views such that your manuscript is visible in one split and the collage is visible in the other, and turn on view linking by clicking the icon next to the + button in the footer of the collage, any selection you make in the manuscript will switch the collage to show that section and any selection you make in the collage will switch the text view to show the text item for that selection.

I'm a little confused by this snapshot thing. I thought you took that out? Or is it just a Leopard thing now?

3) Split Views and Workspaces

There are several ways to take snapshots of your current workspace. The easiest is just to choose Window > Workspaces > New Workspace. This causes the Workspaces panel to appear, which shows a thumbnail of the current workspace and lets you switch between them (using the cursor and return keys)....

So is this a bug or a Tiger exclusion?

-Thoth.

I'm a little confused by this snapshot thing. I thought you took that out? Or is it just a Leopard thing now?

So is this a bug or a Tiger exclusion?

Snapshots should work in both Tiger and Leopard. There are a couple of ways to create them.

1) Choose Windows > Workspaces > New Workspace. The Workspaces panel appears with the new snapshot highlighted as in the attached screen shot.

2) Choose Windows > Workspaces > Manage Workspaces and click the Add (+) button in the command bar at the bottom of the panel.

Note: Any snapshots you've made are now available in the Window > Workspaces menu and in the pulldown menu in the Workspaces toolbar button.

-Steve

StoryistScreenSnapz001.tiff

Yes, Steve, but I can't switch between them. Should I send you a bug report and a Storyist file or would you like to test this yourself? It's 100% reproducible.

OSX 10.4.11/iMac G5/Storyist 2.0

-Steve.

Either way. I'll certainly check it out. You should be able to use the cursor keys or the mouse to select an item and then press either return or space to change. You should also be able to click on the Action (gear) button and select Switch to Workspace.

-Steve

Either way. I'll certainly check it out. You should be able to use the cursor keys or the mouse to select an item and then press either return or space to change. You should also be able to click on the Action (gear) button and select Switch to Workspace.

Donkey donuts!

I couldn't switch between workspaces when I first created the file and then created two workspaces, but after I saved and quit and reopened they switched fine. But before I first saved and quit for the first time they wouldn't switch. (Something for the manual, I suppose.)

Please try it anyway. My results seem inconsistent.

Persistence has its rewards.

-Thoth.

Archived