Storyist Forums

Suddenly Renoobified

Steakpirate

So, I never really thought about this with the beta, because I wasn't writing anything new, but how do I add sections to my manuscript now? I've been so in and out that I'm afraid I was out of the loop when Sections were killed/remodeled.

There are sections in the template pages, (My Manuscript > Chapter 1 > Start Writing!), but the ones in my manuscript have long since disappeared, and I'm not sure how to get them back.

I imagine I should really start with a fresh 2.0 file, as my manuscript has stood the test of many versions, not unscathed, but I'm also unsure about how to safely transfer the data over. (As far as a simple copy and paste sufficing, especially with any potentially unwanted style information lurking in my old data.)

I'm not sure what good importing would do, as the file opens fine in 2.0.

I'd rather not run all my data through Textedit and hit "Make Plain Text", but if that's what it takes for the safest manuscript I'll do it.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Bewilderedly yours,

SP

Hi Steakpirate,

Answers below.

So, I never really thought about this with the beta, because I wasn't writing anything new, but how do I add sections to my manuscript now?

Same way as you did in 1.0. Select a section in the Project view and either:

* Click the Add (+) button.

* Click the Action button and choose Add > Section from the menu.

There are sections in the template pages, (My Manuscript > Chapter 1 > Start Writing!), but the ones in my manuscript have long since disappeared, and I'm not sure how to get them back.

I imagine I should really start with a fresh 2.0 file, as my manuscript has stood the test of many versions, not unscathed, but I'm also unsure about how to safely transfer the data over. (As far as a simple copy and paste sufficing, especially with any potentially unwanted style information lurking in my old data.)

I'm not sure what good importing would do, as the file opens fine in 2.0.

I'd rather not run all my data through Textedit and hit "Make Plain Text", but if that's what it takes for the safest manuscript I'll do it.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

If the document in question was one that you used for beta testing and you are having trouble with it, starting with a fresh project might be a good idea. Please post details in the beta area if this is the case.

I'd be happy to take a look at your project if you want.

If not, could you describe the issue you're troubleshooting a little more?

-Steve

Hi Steakpirate,

Answers below.

Same way as you did in 1.0. Select a section in the Project view and either:

* Click the Add (+) button.

* Click the Action button and choose Add > Section from the menu.

If the document in question was one that you used for beta testing and you are having trouble with it, starting with a fresh project might be a good idea. Please post details in the beta area if this is the case.

I'd be happy to take a look at your project if you want.

If not, could you describe the issue you're troubleshooting a little more?

-Steve

I'm not really troubleshooting, so much as I'd forgotten how to do things. Pre-2.0, I'd generally just type a "#", and it would start a new section, so I didn't know how to do it manually.

I've got sections working all fine and dandy at the moment now, but I still sort of want to migrate to a new file, just to be safe.

I'm just afraid that migrating to a new file won't do anything unless I first copy the data somewhere that would strip any Storyist data (IE sections, and links and stuff, which I'm missing anyway, so it wouldn't be a loss) to prevent the file from being as potentially goofy as the original might otherwise be.

In any case, that was the major issue, so thankies.

I'm not really troubleshooting, so much as I'd forgotten how to do things. Pre-2.0, I'd generally just type a "#", and it would start a new section, so I didn't know how to do it manually.

I was a little surprised to see this since it can still work the same way in V2. In addition to the two examples Steve gave you, you can place your cursor at the end of a paragraph and hit return twice. Then choose Section Separator and type a #, just like in V1. The new Section will be titled "Untitled Section" (irony or sarcasm, you decide).

Unlike in V1, you won't be typing a Section Title in the manuscript but instead go directly to Section Text. But you can name the new Section in the Project Pane (or whatever we call the PP now).

Also (if you're using the default in Preferences) a Section Sheet (or whatever we're going to call them) will be appended to the bottom of your Section Sheets collection (outside folders). It will have the same name as the Section in the Manuscript part of the Project Pane. You can also move the Section Sheet where you want in the Section Sheets collection.

If you're a Pantser (i.e., you write by the seat of your pants) the V2 process seems a little slower than in V1, where you name sections as you go just by typing them as you go. But if you're a Plotter (i.e., you create an outline first) the V2 method could actually be a little faster.

Nothing actually stops you from adding titles at the top of Sections in V2, but they won't be linked to Section Sheets and there is no way to hide them (YET).

The Steve giveith and the Steve takeith away.

-Thoth.

Archived