Storyist Forums

On the selection of a font

Steakpirate

Presuming I'm self-publishing, or pompous enough to think my publisher will cater to my whims as far as the selection of fonts:

What are your opinions on Serif VS. Sans Serif for novel-writing?

Discuss!

-Thanks, Sturkpurlette.

Presuming I'm self-publishing, or pompous enough to think my publisher will cater to my whims as far as the selection of fonts:

What are your opinions on Serif VS. Sans Serif for novel-writing?

Discuss!

I find Serif easier to read, of course, but I find 200% zoom easier still.

The rules of Typography indicate the Sans Serif are better the extended reading. There is a 'but' to this though, and it's a pretty big 'but.' :D

That was the olden days, back when print was so bad that serif fonts would blur if they were any less than 15 pt. Today, print DPI has improved vastly, so Serif font retain clarity to really small sizes.

Where does that put us? Well, even though serif fonts are better than they used to be, I believe many publishers stick to sans serif fonts. If you went with a publish, and if they let you choose the font, chances are that you would need to pick a sans serif font. If you self-publish, and have a nice serif font in mind, I'd say go for it.

And for clarity, make sure that any serif font you pick is one with large openings. Take the letter G for example. Some serif G's are barely readable because of the gap on the inside is really narrow and is filled by the serif in small point sizes.

And if you'd like my opinion on any fonts, let me know what ones you are interested in. I'd be happy to help.

If it helps, I was Editor-in-Chief at a college paper for two years, did some layout for L.A. Times, then worked as the Production Manager at my University paper for the past year, so I've had a bit of experience in typography.

The rules of Typography indicate the Sans Serif are better the extended reading. There is a 'but' to this though, and it's a pretty big 'but.' :(

That was the olden days, back when print was so bad that serif fonts would blur if they were any less than 15 pt. Today, print DPI has improved vastly, so Serif font retain clarity to really small sizes.

Where does that put us? Well, even though serif fonts are better than they used to be, I believe many publishers stick to sans serif fonts. If you went with a publish, and if they let you choose the font, chances are that you would need to pick a sans serif font. If you self-publish, and have a nice serif font in mind, I'd say go for it.

And for clarity, make sure that any serif font you pick is one with large openings. Take the letter G for example. Some serif G's are barely readable because of the gap on the inside is really narrow and is filled by the serif in small point sizes.

And if you'd like my opinion on any fonts, let me know what ones you are interested in. I'd be happy to help.

If it helps, I was Editor-in-Chief at a college paper for two years, did some layout for L.A. Times, then worked as the Production Manager at my University paper for the past year, so I've had a bit of experience in typography.

Hmmm. Which "rules of typography" would these be? I've worked in publishing for 20 years, and I have always heard the exact opposite. The serifs exist to help the reader connect one letter to another and direct the eye along the line: they enhance readability. That's why almost every book, magazine, and newspaper in print has text in a serif font (e.g., Times New Roman) and reserves sans serif (e.g., Helvetica) for display type.

Publishers don't ask for manuscripts in Courier 12 pt. (to the extent they even bother asking for it nowadays) because it's more readable, although it is when you're working in a word processor or Storyist on-screen. They ask for it because it's monospaced and because, after years of working with typewritten manuscripts, they can estimate with reasonable accuracy from the page count how long the finished book will be. Editors use it for the same reason, since they often charge by the manuscript page.

On the Web, though, the situation is different: a sans serif font like Verdana or Arial in a fairly large size (15 pt. at least) is easier to read in a Web browser. So the question is, Steakpirate, where do you intend to self-publish? On a blog, your website, via your laser printer, through a vanity press that expects camera-ready copy? Do you want to read the text on an e-book reader? The answers to those questions will determine the font you use.

Best,

M

Archived