Storyist Forums

Physical Description, Is there a limit on the number for fields?

grichter

Newbee. Only been using this software for a few days. Read the docs once, but I could have missed a spec...but is there a defined maximum of the number of physical description fields you can add to a character. I tried to add Race and Religion as custom fields and things got a little wonky in how they displayed. Mac version running on an intel mac 10.5.7.

Newbee. Only been using this software for a few days. Read the docs once, but I could have missed a spec...but is there a defined maximum of the number of physical description fields you can add to a character. I tried to add Race and Religion as custom fields and things got a little wonky in how they displayed. Mac version running on an intel mac 10.5.7.

Hi, Gary. Welcome to the forums!

You can certainly add more than two fields (whether there's a limit, Steve will have to say). Unfortunately, there's a bug in version 2 of the program at the moment that Steve is still tracking down, so you can add the fields and display the fields, but Storyist "forgets" that you had them displayed when you reopen the file. You can reselect them, but the next time you close the file, they will appear to vanish once more.

Hang in there. Steve works very quickly. I'm sure he'll have this fixed in no time.

But please verify if this is the problem you're seeing, because so far only the Tiger beta testers have reported it. If it's not what you mean by "wonky," give us some more detail and we'll try to help.

Best,

Marguerite

Hi, Gary. Welcome to the forums!

You can certainly add more than two fields (whether there's a limit, Steve will have to say). Unfortunately, there's a bug in version 2 of the program at the moment that Steve is still tracking down, so you can add the fields and display the fields, but Storyist "forgets" that you had them displayed when you reopen the file. You can reselect them, but the next time you close the file, they will appear to vanish once more.

Hang in there. Steve works very quickly. I'm sure he'll have this fixed in no time.

But please verify if this is the problem you're seeing, because so far only the Tiger beta testers have reported it. If it's not what you mean by "wonky," give us some more detail and we'll try to help.

Best,

Marguerite

The first time some disappeared. The second time I tried, the whole page displayed upside down in side by side mode.

The first time some disappeared. The second time I tried, the whole page displayed upside down in side by side mode.

Ah, but did blood, or any colorful ichor, drip from the display? This is an important detail. :(

What Marguerite and I would like to know is whether you are running Storyist under Tiger (10.4) or Leopard (10.5)?

Thanks.

Oh, and welcome to the Forum, Gary. How do you like to so far?

-Thoth.

Ah, but did blood, or any colorful ichor, drip from the display? This is an important detail. :lol:

What Marguerite and I would like to know is whether you are running Storyist under Tiger (10.4) or Leopard (10.5)?

Thanks.

Oh, and welcome to the Forum, Gary. How do you like to so far?

-Thoth.

Leopard intel Mac 10.5.7

What would be cool in setting up your characters is the added fields you choose-make become part of the template. For example if I have

Age, Gender, eye color, hair color and build (which I think are the defaults) and add Race and Religion as purely an example. Then save that as a template, that the next character I create has those added to the list automatically vs having to add them in. Or if I change say eye color to Height. That height becomes the default for that saved template and again repeats with every new character you create.

Would save a ton of time in character creation if you have a novel with say a dozen key characters IMHO.

Leopard intel Mac 10.5.7

What would be cool in setting up your characters is the added fields you choose-make become part of the template. For example if I have

Age, Gender, eye color, hair color and build (which I think are the defaults) and add Race and Religion as purely an example. Then save that as a template, that the next character I create has those added to the list automatically vs having to add them in. Or if I change say eye color to Height. That height becomes the default for that saved template and again repeats with every new character you create.

Would save a ton of time in character creation if you have a novel with say a dozen key characters IMHO.

The program's actually supposed to work that way—and always used to. But there's a nasty bug kicking custom fields out of its path at present.

Good news is that the bug doesn't consume anything permanently, just hides it from view. If you choose File > Save as Template, open the template as a new file, select a character sheet, click on one of the default fields and choose Add Field, you should see all your custom fields displayed. Only if you pick one, save and close the file, next time you open it, the bug will have sent it back into hiding.

Steve is working on the problem as we type, I'm sure. Poor man went to visit his sick mom and returned to a mile-high list of complaints.....

Best,

Marguerite

Archived