Storyist Forums

Q: moving chunks (chapters, sections) between scripts?

occam

I am slightly bewildered. Storyist 2.0 looks great. One of the things I like is that it handles multiple scripts per project. That's great for me because I'm about to write a small book followed by a few others, all related, and I'd like to share and move pieces between the works as they shape up. However, I just tried to move a chapter, then a section between projects in the same project, same Project View, and same *.story file, and have been stymied.

Storyist seems to prohibit moving chunks between scripts... even in the same project, Project View, window, whatever. I can't seem to move chapters or even sections back and forth be. The receiving outline arrows open as though it's working, but then on mouse button release, the chunk just floats back to its origin. Ouch. Doesn't work from/to main draft, from/to secondary script, or even between secondary scripts (e.g., a project with three or more scripts). Doesn't seem work no matter how I try to do it.

Am I missing something? I've tried to sleuth it using the Inspector (re: what types the origin/receiver are), tried to keep everything simple (text only), but it just doesn't work. Is this just me, or is someone else seeing this behavior also.

I am hoping I am simply missing another technique (than Project View), but I haven't been able to do it anyway at all. The Project View gives such a powerful birds eye view, I'd love to use it to get work done between scripts, but it only seems to work w/in a script itself. I am confused by this limitation (unless it's simply a bug). Could someone set me straight so I can understand what I'm missing, or any philosophical underpinnings of this approach to the multiple scripts in the Project View?

I.e., in Storyist 2.0, how does one move text between (manu)scripts between projects, or even within the same project? If not, is it considered a bug or philosophical point in Storyist? Did it work in 1.x? Is there an efficient workaround (not interested in copy-paste, and prefer not to merge them --- since that's the kind of clutter I find distracting)? And the big question, if it's a "missing" feature, what's the ETA for the update including it?

Thanks.

I am slightly bewildered. Storyist 2.0 looks great. One of the things I like is that it handles multiple scripts per project. That's great for me because I'm about to write a small book followed by a few others, all related, and I'd like to share and move pieces between the works as they shape up. However, I just tried to move a chapter, then a section between projects in the Project View and have been stymied.

Storyist seems to prohibit moving chunks between scripts... in the same project, Project View, window, whatever. I can't seem to move chapters or even sections back and forth. The receiving outline arrows open as though it's working, but then on mouse button release, the chunk just floats back to its origin. Ouch. Doesn't seem to work either way.

Am I missing something? I've tried to sleuth it using the Inspector (re: what types the origin/receiver are), tried to keep everything simple (text only), but it just doesn't work. Is this just me, or is someone else seeing this behavior also.

I am hoping I am simply missing another technique (than Project View), but I haven't been able to do it anyway at all. Could someone set me straight:

In Storyist 2.0, how does one move text between (manu)scripts? If not, is it considered a bug? Did it work in 1.x? Is there an efficient workaround (not interested in copy-paste, and prefer not to merge them --- since that's the kind of clutter I find distracting)? And the big question, if it's a "missing" feature, what's the ETA for the update including it?

Thanks.

Hi Occam,

Welcome to the forum.

You're not missing anything. Moving sections between documents by dragging in the Project view is not supported yet. I've got this on my list of enhancements, but I don't have an ETA for you, other than to say it is one of the features that is up next.

You can certainly copy and paste between documents.

-Steve

Welcome to the forum.
Thank you!

You're not missing anything. Moving sections between documents by dragging in the Project view is not supported yet. I've got this on my list of enhancements, but I don't have an ETA for you, other than to say it is one of the features that is up next.

You can certainly copy and paste between documents.

Steve:

Thank you for such a prompt reply. I am very happy to hear it's at least "one of the features up next" since that makes the whole multi-script feature genuinely useful and Storyist Project View organizing that much more powerful. Thank you.

I am also glad to hear this is coming up! I haven't tried to do this yet, but it sounds like something I'd do. Hurray Steve!

:unsure:

- Jules

Archived