Storyist Forums

Where'd my template go?

cfproulx

Can anyone help with this problem?

I want to create custom templates for characters, plot points, etc. I add, remove, and customize the fields as wanted, and I fill out the information. I choose save as Template. Any new character or plot point I create is made using my special template.

BUT when I exit Storyist, and come back, all characters and such have reverted back to the default format. The custom fields I created and information I filled in are still stored, but have to be pulled up again using "Display/Add Field"

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or do I have a weird bug?

Help! thanks :D

Capt. Red Beard

Can anyone help with this problem?

I want to create custom templates for characters, plot points, etc. I add, remove, and customize the fields as wanted, and I fill out the information. I choose save as Template. Any new character or plot point I create is made using my special template.

BUT when I exit Storyist, and come back, all characters and such have reverted back to the default format. The custom fields I created and information I filled in are still stored, but have to be pulled up again using "Display/Add Field"

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or do I have a weird bug?

Help! thanks :D

Capt. Red Beard

Hi Captain,

Welcome to the forum.

Are you using File > Save as Template or the template mechanism in the sheets?

File > Save as Template creates a new project template, so if you open an existing file (created with another template), you won't see your customizations.

If you're using the context menu in the sheet (which create a properties template for the sheet), make sure your running 2.0.2. There was a bug in 2.0 that caused property templates to be forgotten between saves.

-Steve

Aha! Yes i was running 2.0. (i guess i'm used to my stuff auto updating).

I updated, and as far as I can tell, everything's gravy now.

Thanks y'all!

This raises a good point. I wonder if Storyist shouldn't auto-check for updates and notify the user when a new version is ready. That would be more convenient than trying to remember to click 'Check for Updates' under the Storyist menu. Most apps I use do this. Of course, it shouldn't automatically install the updates, but it should at least check for them.

Brian

This raises a good point. I wonder if Storyist shouldn't auto-check for updates and notify the user when a new version is ready. That would be more convenient than trying to remember to click 'Check for Updates' under the Storyist menu. Most apps I use do this. Of course, it shouldn't automatically install the updates, but it should at least check for them.

Brian

Storyist can do this already. The first time you run the program, it asks for permission to check for updates automatically. If you allow it to do so, it will automatically check for updates and notify you if an update is available.

Some people turn the feature off because they don't trust the program yet.

If you want to turn it back on, open the Preferences window, select the Software Update pane, and check the "Check for Updates" checkbox.

The cool part about this feature, by the way, is that Storyist is actually listening to an RSS feed. If you want to follow along with your browser or favorite RSS reader, point it at http://update.storyist.com/downloads/storyist2.xml.

-Steve

Archived