Storyist Forums

New user with a few performance ?s

walterdeanlewis

I originally wrote an intro, which I will still post, but I have a been working on moving to Storyist for the last few days, and I have a basic question that I thought might be best addressed outside the larger “new user” context.

I am on a MBP, 2.5, 4GB running Snow Leopard. When I go to change the titles of chapters, create characters, or make changes it seems that there is a longer than usual period of clocking (beachball) while the command is completed. I have done the obvious things closing other applications, etc, and my activity/memory monitor is very low. I have a few other examples, text staying selected after I click elsewhere etc, but basically it seems as though, at times, the storyist is trying to catch up. Any thoughts?

Hi walterdeanlewis,

I originally wrote an intro, which I will still post, but I have a been working on moving to Storyist for the last few days, and I have a basic question that I thought might be best addressed outside the larger “new user” context.

I am on a MBP, 2.5, 4GB running Snow Leopard. When I go to change the titles of chapters, create characters, or make changes it seems that there is a longer than usual period of clocking (beachball) while the command is completed. I have done the obvious things closing other applications, etc, and my activity/memory monitor is very low. I have a few other examples, text staying selected after I click elsewhere etc, but basically it seems as though, at times, the storyist is trying to catch up. Any thoughts?

You don't mention which version of Storyist you're running. Version 2.1 included some performance optimizations for Snow Leopard, so if you haven't upgraded yet, that would be the first thing to try.

If you've already done that, let me know and we can investigate further. It would be helpful to know more about your project. How large is the manuscript? How many characters? Etc...

-Steve

Hi WDL, and thank you for decloaking.

I don't use a MacBook Pro so I'm afraid I have no basis for comparison. It certainly doesn't seem to take long on my iMac. And I rarely if ever get a beach ball. But I have little doubt that Steve has a MacBook Pro in his vast stable of Macs he uses for development.

Hang in there. The doctor will be with you shortly.

- Thoth.

Edit: Oops. Took too long to type this. The doctor is faaaaaast.

Thanks for the fast replies! I am using V2.1 (1011)

I am actually starting a project. I have previously used Scrivener for my novel. I tried to import, but I need to do some scrubbing on the Scrivener document. For now I am re-creating, via cut and paste, the characters and the locations etc. The gist is that the document isn't large at all.

When I create a new character, i used the keyboard shortcut, it took a moment to populate. I then cut the text out of the other application, and pasted it into the body of the character description. When I go to repeat this process there is a lag.

is there any othe information that would be helpful?

WDL

Thanks for the fast replies! I am using V2.1 (1011)

I am actually starting a project. I have previously used Scrivener for my novel. I tried to import, but I need to do some scrubbing on the Scrivener document. For now I am re-creating, via cut and paste, the characters and the locations etc. The gist is that the document isn't large at all.

When I create a new character, i used the keyboard shortcut, it took a moment to populate. I then cut the text out of the other application, and pasted it into the body of the character description. When I go to repeat this process there is a lag.

is there any othe information that would be helpful?

WDL

There shouldn't be a performance problem there (and your machine is plenty fast). I'll do some tests here on a similar machine.

So the steps are using are:

1) Create a new character using the keyboard shortcuts.

2) Copy several paragraphs from another application. (If it is more than several paragraphs, give me a rough estimate and I'll use that).

3) Paste them into the summary area of the character sheet. (If it is the notes area, let me know...)

4) Repeat and observe the lag.

-Steve

Good news. I haven't seen the behavior I mentioned yesterday again. There does still seem to be a lag when i shift from one element to another, but given the links created that is understandable. I am enjoying the product. What I thought was a learning curve turns out to be more of an "appreciation curve" I keep finding neat new ways to do things that I hadn't thought of!

Good news. I haven't seen the behavior I mentioned yesterday again. There does still seem to be a lag when i shift from one element to another, but given the links created that is understandable. I am enjoying the product. What I thought was a learning curve turns out to be more of an "appreciation curve" I keep finding neat new ways to do things that I hadn't thought of!

Thanks for the update (and for the kind words).

I haven't found anything in my testing yet. At one point, I did THINK I was able to reproduce it, but I realized that Time Machine had just kicked in. Let me know if you see this again.

-Steve

Archived