Storyist Forums

LA Literary Examiner's review of Storyist.

Steve E

Steve posted a link to this review under Announcements, where we lesser mortals are prohibited from commenting. So I'm commenting here.

The LA Literary Examiner review titled "Storyist - The Next Generation of Creative Writing Tools," by Chelsea Sutton, was pretty light-weight but overall it was positive. So good! But when a reviewer says, "One of the best features of Storyist is perhaps the FULL SCREEN MODE..." she loses credibility with me. Partially this is because I never bother with Full Screen Mode, what with my laser-like focus and ... oooh pretty birdie ... where was I?

Bottom line: a positive review from someone who probably shouldn't be reviewing software. (E.g., "At first, the amount of options Storyist made available to my organizationally-challenged brain seemed almost overwhelming.")

I suppose I shouldn't be so picky.

After all, my mother once told me, "If you pick that it'll bleed."

Sage advice.

- Thoth

I suppose I shouldn't be so picky.

You're unhappy because the writer LIKES the software? Who are you and what have you done with Thoth? :D

For the record, I'm very happy with the article, and grateful to the writer for investing time and effort to evaluate the software and let people know about it.

-Steve

You're unhappy because the writer LIKES the software? Who are you and what have you done with Thoth? :D

He's right here, feeling curmudgeonly. (But really, I'm basically a happy guy.) I just wanted a review with more substance. I'm thrilled Chelsea likes the software. I just wanted her to like it more and for better reasons than Full Screen Mode. Yes, I know some people are crazy for FSM but it just made me fell like Storyist was being damned with faint praise. Too sensitive?

For the record, I'm very happy with the article, and grateful to the writer for investing time and effort to evaluate the software and let people know about it.

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

- Thoth

So you're saying that sometimes if you want the job done right, you have to do it yourself? :D

Touché, mon ami.

But no, I wrote three reviews for Storyist 1.0 when you first asked us to, way back when. I even submitted a review letter to MacWorld which (for some incomprehensible reason) they neglected to print, let alone feature. I've done my part. Which is not to say I won't do more in the future. Maybe some Storyist fanfic? "The Adventures of Steve Shepard." "Stevie In Storyistland." "The Mysterious Island Of Dr. Shepard." Hey, maybe I'll do NaNo after all.

- Thoth.

Archived