Storyist Forums

How many story plots are there?

Steve E

Ever get dismayed when plotting a story and suddenly realizing that you've "hear this one before"? Your gut tell you that there must be an infinite number of stories so why does the outline of mine look so much like that outline of yours?

There's a reason: you're not seeing plots you're seeing patterns. And the number of patterns is decidedly not infinite.

So, how many story plots/patterns are there?

"Millions" - Typical College Student.

"Sixty-nine" - Rudyard Kipling.

"Thirty-six" - Carlo Gozzi (and wrote a book cataloging them).

"Two" - Aristotle (stories of the body (e.g., Action/Adventure) and stories of the mind (e.g., Detective/Morality)).

"Mediocre Writers Borrow; Great Writers Steal" - T.S. Eliot.

- Thoth.

So, how many story plots/patterns are there?

"Millions" - Typical College Student.

"Sixty-nine" - Rudyard Kipling.

"Thirty-six" - Carlo Gozzi (and wrote a book cataloging them).

"Two" - Aristotle (stories of the body (e.g., Action/Adventure) and stories of the mind (e.g., Detective/Morality)).

Nonsense. They completely disregard the effect of quantum entanglement.

IF

Nonsense. They completely disregard the effect of quantum entanglement.

IF

:P

Trying to figure an angle for working Pauli Exclusion into Heisenberg Uncertainty as it relates to storytelling. Aw. I'll just factor in Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem and call it a day.

- Thoth.

• 2 weeks later...
:D

Trying to figure an angle for working Pauli Exclusion into Heisenberg Uncertainty as it relates to storytelling. Aw. I'll just factor in Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem and call it a day.

- Thoth.

When I first penned the idea for my novels, I thought, "shit, people are going to think I'm ripping off X." Truth be told, it's hard to do anything completely original today. I take solace in the belief that whatever I put forth, however familiar the concepts may seem, will be a worthy and interesting addition to their respective genres. And in the end, who cares if the story's been told before? I write for me.

Archived