Storyist Forums

Refund?

RBSHoo

Is it possible to get a refund for the software? I've been playing around with it for about a week, and it's just not for me.

Hi RBSHoo,

It is. Send and email to the support address with your order information and I'll process the refund.

-Steve

Wow. That's good service. Steve, I will do just that (as I'm feeling like a bit of a jerk - I really wanted to like the software! truly I did!).

Thanks.

Hi RBSHoo,

It is. Send and email to the support address with your order information and I'll process the refund.

-Steve

Wow. That's good service. Steve, I will do just that (as I'm feeling like a bit of a jerk - I really wanted to like the software! truly I did!).

Thanks.

Hi RBSHoo.

First let me say that I am in no way connected to the Mighty Storyist Cartel other than being a happy user of the product.

I understand that a person's writing requirements are very personal things and what works for one person may not work of another. (For all I know you were looking for a mail-merge program.) That said, I have to admit to some curiosity over how Storyist falls short of your needs. Please understand that this is not Steve asking. Besides giving the best software support on the planet he is too much of a gentleman to probe. I, on the other hand, have an insatiable curiosity for such trivia.

Answer or not. Either way I wish you luck with your writing.

Happy Halloween.

- Thoth.

• 2 months later...
I understand that a person's writing requirements are very personal things and what works for one person may not work of another. (For all I know you were looking for a mail-merge program.) That said, I have to admit to some curiosity over how Storyist falls short of your needs. Please understand that this is not Steve asking. Besides giving the best software support on the planet he is too much of a gentleman to probe. I, on the other hand, have an insatiable curiosity for such trivia.

- Thoth.

I've been struggling with the simplest of tasks: trying to add a scene to a manuscript. No, I don't want the nearly-useless-to-me "Scene Sheet." Just want to add a scene, using the sidebar on the left. Stymied, I am, after multiple readings of the help file, the 2.0 User's Guide, even a note or two from Steve.

I've written a novel using Scrivener, and it's not this obtuse to learn. I haven't even read anything like a User's Guide. Storyist is just very different, and frankly, not very well documented. Or maybe all the things I expect it to do it simply doesn't. Or if it does them, it appears as anything but simple.

So that's why somebody would want a refund. Me, I'm just ready to move on. I shouldn't have to poke through a user forum to learn something like this.

Hi Ron,

I've been struggling with the simplest of tasks: trying to add a scene to a manuscript. No, I don't want the nearly-useless-to-me "Scene Sheet." Just want to add a scene, using the sidebar on the left. Stymied, I am, after multiple readings of the help file, the 2.0 User's Guide, even a note or two from Steve.

I've written a novel using Scrivener, and it's not this obtuse to learn. I haven't even read anything like a User's Guide. Storyist is just very different, and frankly, not very well documented. Or maybe all the things I expect it to do it simply doesn't. Or if it does them, it appears as anything but simple.

So that's why somebody would want a refund. Me, I'm just ready to move on. I shouldn't have to poke through a user forum to learn something like this.

Adding a chapter or section should be a very simple task: just select a chapter or section in the project view and click the Add (+) button in the bottom bar. Another way to accomplish this is to select a chapter or section in the Project view and choose Project > Add to "My Manuscript" > Chapter or Project > Add to "My Manuscript" > Section. Or just type them in the manuscript and they will appear in the project view.

You can see this in action by creating a new project from the Novel template and following the above steps.

You've probably read them already, but the relevant sections in the User's Guide are Adding Outline Elements to Project Items and Editing Outline Level Properties along with the section in the Getting Started Guide (available from the help menu) titled "Adding Chapters and Sections."

Since this is a relatively simple operation, I'm guessing that there is an issue with your style sheet. I'd be happy to take a look at an excerpt from your project if you'd like. It is probably something simple.

-Steve

You shouldn't, it's true. You just seem to have got off on the wrong foot. Honest, it's not that difficult.

For more detailed instructions, see this post.

Don't give up on Storyist yet. It's really quite lovable if you give it a chance. (I'm a fellow writer—no connection with Storyist.)

Best,

Marguerite

Archived