Storyist Forums

And the beat goes on...

Steve E

Slang has a way of evolving, changing, backtracking, taking unexpected turns. Here's something that might have happened a while ago but I just noticed it.

By definition:

Novella - a short novel or long short story.

Novela - another term for telenovela (a television soap opera or a script for one).

I have recently seen both these terms used interchangeably. Typos? Perhaps. The "L" is in a tricky finger position on my keyboard.

Enter Novelette. Definition: a short novel, typically one that is light and romantic or sentimental in character.

I have also seen this used interchangeably with Novella. Certainly a novelette is a novella but not all novellas are novelettes.

I plead with the writing and reviewing community to retain the original dictionary meaning of "novella" and not use them interchangeably with "novela" and "novelette". Okay, I know this isn't the best venue for this plea but I have to start somewhere.

-Thothette.

Slang has a way of evolving, changing, backtracking, taking unexpected turns. Here's something that might have happened a while ago but I just noticed it.

By definition:

Novella - a short novel or long short story.

Novela - another term for telenovela (a television soap opera or a script for one).

I have recently seen both these terms used interchangeably. Typos? Perhaps. The "L" is in a tricky finger position on my keyboard.

Enter Novelette. Definition: a short novel, typically one that is light and romantic or sentimental in character.

I have also seen this used interchangeably with Novella. Certainly a novelette is a novella but not all novellas are novelettes.

I plead with the writing and reviewing community to retain the original dictionary meaning of "novella" and not use them interchangeably with "novela" and "novelette". Okay, I know this isn't the best venue for this plea but I have to start somewhere.

-Thothette.

Hear. Hear. Why create new words to do what the old ones are supposed to, unless it puts the idea more succinctly or uniquely?

Novella and novel are the only ones I need.

I had planned to say something witty and provoking, but I've already forgotten. Which is which?

IF

Omelet/omelette? Novelet/novelette? You pays your money, and you takes your pick.

Mmm. Omelets. I know what I'm having for lunch now.

I keep my books long and wordy and avoid the whole problem. :lol:

Margot the Loquacious

Genius.

- Thoth the Verbose.

Archived