Storyist Forums

Go To Page Number function

Steve E

Elsewhere in the forum, Jessica Trapp had said:

I like the section and chapter jumps, but without page numbers at the bottom and no way to get to a specific page number or section easily, it's frustrating and clunky for me. When an editor or critique partner says to "go to page 6" or one is in the middle of copy edits to me it should be easy to find.

On her behalf I'd like to request a Go To Page Number function.

It would not be particularly useful to me (I use Bookmarks) but I can see how people coming off Word or in the middle of revision might feel lost without it.

I've always felt that one of Storyist's strengths was its ability to adapt to your way of writing. And, yes, I can see people eventually weaning themselves off of Go To Page Number, but they won't get the chance if the lack of this tiny, fairly standard function drives them away from Storyist. (Remember Full Screen Mode?)

- Thoth

Seconded. I print so little these days (and when I do, I tend to export the file first to share a few chapters with others, so the page numbers don't match up anyway) that I really don't have much use for "Go to Page." The Storyist spotlight search and ability to move among sections let me find what I want. But I agree that it would be a useful addition, for the reason Thoth cites. Bookmarks are good for getting back to a passage you know needs work—not so helpful in finding a section someone else has pinpointed for you.

In general, I would like to see more use of page numbers:

1. Page you are on, as in 45 of 300, displayed at the bottom of the screen;

2. No of pages in a chapter (requested before);

3. Ability to export a page range (requested before); and even

4. Where I am in a chapter, as displayed in ePub files in iBooks (10 pages left in this chapter, e.g.)

Hey, it's a feature request thread, so I can ask, right? :(

Meanwhile, I keep the file in Print View most of the time, so that a page number is never more than a screen or two away.

Best,

M

Thirded. And I like all of Marguerite's expansion to the basic page number request too!

Same here.

It's good to be able to jump to a section but my sections can get pretty big. Chapters too. So I often need a finer granularity jump-wise.

A sophisticated, all-inclusive Go To function wouldn't be a bad idea either. Basically, anyplace I can describe, I want to be able to go. Here are just a few examples: Go To Page Current Plus 8; Go To Section John Plus 9 Pages; Go To <select Comment>; Go To <select Bookmark>; Go To Top Of Last Paragraph In Next Section. And so forth.

Also, I know I've mentioned this before, but I'd like the Chapter and Section names back in the Search Results window, so that when I Go To there I have a better idea of where I'm going.

Go To

- Thoth.

1. Page you are on, as in 45 of 300, displayed at the bottom of the screen;

2. No of pages in a chapter (requested before);

3. Ability to export a page range (requested before); and even

4. Where I am in a chapter, as displayed in ePub files in iBooks (10 pages left in this chapter, e.g.)

Same here.

It's good to be able to jump to a section but my sections can get pretty big. Chapters too. So I often need a finer granularity jump-wise.

A sophisticated, all-inclusive Go To function wouldn't be a bad idea either. Basically, anyplace I can describe, I want to be able to go. Here are just a few examples: Go To Page Current Plus 8; Go To Section John Plus 9 Pages; Go To <select Comment>; Go To <select Bookmark>; Go To Top Of Last Paragraph In Next Section. And so forth.

Also, I know I've mentioned this before, but I'd like the Chapter and Section names back in the Search Results window, so that when I Go To there I have a better idea of where I'm going.

Go To

- Thoth.

Me-Too-ed!!! Especially the you're on page # of ### part of that.

- Jools

It would not be particularly useful to me ...

Please realize that if you request a feature that wouldn't be particularly useful to you, I might actually spend time on it at the expense of a request of yours that is important to you. :lol:

-Steve

Please realize that if you request a feature that wouldn't be particularly useful to you, I might actually spend time on it at the expense of a request of yours that is important to you. :lol:

With respect to this thread, right now it's a risk I'm willing to take.

How about the rest of you?

- Thoth.

Perhaps he means something along the lines of he's willing to risk one of his requests being delayed for the good of a request that others would use and would probably bring more people to Storyist?

Perhaps he means something along the lines of he's willing to risk one of his requests being delayed for the good of a request that others would use and would probably bring more people to Storyist?

Bingo.

This thread is about some story maneuvering features (e.g. Go To Page Number and the other features suggested here) and although I may not use them much I wouldn't mind them getting implementation priority for the sake of Storyist.

Steve, get some sleep.

- Thoth

• 2 weeks later...

With all due respect for other people's feature requests, for some reason I remembered this morning that (I'm dating myself here) when I got my first PC, it had no mouse. I became an absolute whiz with key combinations, which in those days were so prevalent that Word Perfect shipped with a cardboard keyboard guide for you to prop behind the regular keyboard to remind you what Ctrl-Shift-

F4 and the like stood for. When I first tried a mouse, I found it clunky and unintuitive, always skidding around and placing the cursor where I didn't expect it.

Now I'm struggling to master iPad Pages double-tap and drag/move the magnifying glass with one finger method, which (you guessed it) seems clunky and unintuitive compared to just clicking a mouse button or moving the cursor. Soon, I'm sure, I'll have the new method down and will sail along until the next "great improvement."

So it doesn't hurt to retain some perspective. I wouldn't mind being able to "Go to Page" in Storyist, but the program does offer a number of workable alternatives.

Cheers,

Marguerite

...Word Perfect shipped with a cardboard keyboard guide for you to prop behind the regular keyboard...

I remember that! The cardboard kept falling behind my keyboard so I created and printed my own version as a vertical list, ordered with my own priorities and including other shortcuts, and taped it to my Mac. (Of course these days we have Stickies.)

When I first tried a mouse, I found it clunky and unintuitive, always skidding around and placing the cursor where I didn't expect it.

Same here. But mice are much better these days. (As if someone put little sneakers on their little mousey feet.) But I prefer my trackball.

Soon, I'm sure, I'll have the new method down and will sail along until the next "great improvement."

I'm guessing that eyeball tracking can't be too far in the future. The technology has been around since the 1950s but it wasn't until the 70s that you didn't have to put the device on your eyeball. Now they can do it from a fairly remote distance. So work on those eyeball muscles. (I smell a feature request!)

So it doesn't hurt to retain some perspective.

Agree, M. Of course.

- Thoth

You're right of course M.

[Moved discussion of eyball tracking technology to here - Steve]

Even with perspective, I think a go to page feature would be a good addition to Storyist, as far as using it for manuscript editing goes or for for other page specific things.

- Jools

Archived