Storyist Forums

Old Feature Requests

Steakpirate

I've been gone some time so I'm a bit out of the loop, and I don't work on my novel very frequently, but I was curious to see if there had been any work done on the following. Some of them have for sure been partially implemented, and a lot of them that haven't are definitely luxury items. Forgive my necromancy.

Useful

Word Frequency Detection

Move deleted sections to the trash as separate clippings (See first item in post only, others have been addressed)

Semi-Useful

Show / Print as book

Table Of Contents

Helpful Gimmicks

In-Storyist Time Machine for Lazy Revision-Archiving

Undone List

External Display Support

Hover/Mouseover Dictionary

Show/Hide/Differentiate Invisibles

Mac-Contact-Syncing styled change detection

Open Recent (From Startup Window)

I've been gone some time so I'm a bit out of the loop, and I don't work on my novel very frequently, but I was curious to see if there had been any work done on the following. Some of them have for sure been partially implemented, and a lot of them that haven't are definitely luxury items. Forgive my necromancy.

Useful

Word Frequency Detection

Move deleted sections to the trash as separate clippings* (See first item in post only, others have been addressed)

Semi-Useful

Show / Print as book**

Table Of Contents***

Helpful Gimmicks

In-Storyist Time Machine for Lazy Revision-Archiving

Undone List

External Display Support%

Hover/Mouseover Dictionary

Show/Hide/Differentiate Invisibles

Mac-Contact-Syncing styled change detection

Open Recent (From Startup Window)

I guess you haven't looked yet, SP, but Storyist 2.2.1 is available for download. Take a look. Steve has been concentrating on graphics and ePub and, of course, fixing Storyist's little quirks across three (count 'em, three) different Mac operating systems. Also:

* Trash seems to be working pretty much the way I want it to.

** You can output in ePub format.

*** Not automated yet (as far as I know) but you can certainly use Heading formats to create a TOC.

% I honestly have no idea what percentage of this has been completed.

Some call it necromancy.

Others call it writing history.

- Thoth.

I guess you haven't looked yet, SP, but Storyist 2.2.1 is available for download. Take a look. Steve has been concentrating on graphics and ePub and, of course, fixing Storyist's little quirks across three (count 'em, three) different Mac operating systems. Also:

* Trash seems to be working pretty much the way I want it to.

** You can output in ePub format.

*** Not automated yet (as far as I know) but you can certainly use Heading formats to create a TOC.

% I honestly have no idea what percentage of this has been completed.

Some call it necromancy.

Others call it writing history.

- Thoth.

I haven't read the change-log but I've had a chance to download it and play around with it briefly, I didn't notice too much of obvious difference. I hadn't they chance to fool around with ePub.

Re: The trash, the only thing I noticed going in it were images, but I suppose I hadn't tried deleting too much else. I was suggesting the use of the trash to deal with another issue I didn't particularly enjoy.

Re: The trash, the only thing I noticed going in it were images, but I suppose I hadn't tried deleting too much else. I was suggesting the use of the trash to deal with another issue I didn't particularly enjoy.

Trash: an issue none of us particularly enjoy.

Reading Now: Ender in Exile

Working my way through the Ender series myself. Click here for thread.

- Thoth

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to get in on the necromancy and reawaken the request for PDF support. *sigh*

Focusing on a single chapter/section would be handy as well, but I've learned to live without it, so it's not a big deal.

:P

- Jools

I'd like to get in on the necromancy and reawaken the request for PDF support. *sigh*

- Jools

Julia, did you see this discussion on adding links to PDFs? The same technique would work for downloaded Web archives, which are also local files. Note that Thoth gives a shorter, more elegant version of my solution 2-3 messages down.

Yes, I know this is not quite the same as displaying the PDF itself within Storyist, but it at least allows you to access the documents directly through links in your Storyist file.

Best,

M

Hi M!

Yes I did see that and I almost posted, but decided against hijacking the thread. It is a useful tool, but my main concern is that I want to put webpages into my Storyist file and one way to do it would be make a PDF and put that in. Since you can't do that, I generally don't bother saving the webpages as PDFs since they'd only be taking up space on my computer when I still have to go outside of the program to view them (so I might as well save the space and leave them online, unless I suspect the site won't be around in the near future). As it is now, I have a folder of bookmarks in my web browser that is a research link list, I see no reason to spend the time and effort to create another link list within Storyist. I haven't had a case yet where I've had a PDF that wasn't a webpage, if I did I would consider adding a link. That's just my workflow though. If I hadn't started off with Scrivener my brain wouldn't have realized how much easier it is to have a snapshot in the program and would stop throwing fits about it! :P

- Jools

Hi M!

Yes I did see that and I almost posted, but decided against hijacking the thread. It is a useful tool, but my main concern is that I want to put webpages into my Storyist file and one way to do it would be make a PDF and put that in. Since you can't do that, I generally don't bother saving the webpages as PDFs since they'd only be taking up space on my computer when I still have to go outside of the program to view them (so I might as well save the space and leave them online, unless I suspect the site won't be around in the near future). As it is now, I have a folder of bookmarks in my web browser that is a research link list, I see no reason to spend the time and effort to create another link list within Storyist. I haven't had a case yet where I've had a PDF that wasn't a webpage, if I did I would consider adding a link. That's just my workflow though. If I hadn't started off with Scrivener my brain wouldn't have realized how much easier it is to have a snapshot in the program and would stop throwing fits about it! :P

- Jools

I thought you were talking about multipage PDFs. If you want snapshots, you can create those via Command + Shift + 4 (to select a rectangular area; Command + Shift +3 to grab the entire screen). Hold down all three keys simultaneously and, if grabbing a selection, drag to cover the area you want. That creates a PNG image on your desktop that you can drag into Storyist (although you may want to shrink it first).

Some programs also let you access the Grab functions through the Services menu.

Best,

M

Snapshot was probably a bad term for me to use. I meant it in the sense of capturing the page of the website that I was on, not the full website including all it's links. I realize I can take a picture of the screen, which works if the whole page fits on my screen, but not if I have to scroll the information. :P If I could find an image capture program that let me scroll I would be thrilled. I haven't come across anything like that yet.

Thanks for the suggestions though! I'm glad to hear any and all ideas. Is there any way to highlight information and then print to an image? That'd be nice....

- J

You can increase the portion of the text that displays on screen by hitting Command and the hyphen key to make the font size smaller (Command-+ to make the font larger). Sometimes that's enough to make the screen capture work. But I don't know of any utility that lets you scroll, then capture (which doesn't mean that none exists).

You can also convert a PDF to JPEG through Preview, but I'm guessing that works for only one page at a time. Maybe you could save the whole page as a PDF and use the screen capture within Preview, though.

Best,

M

Archived