Storyist Forums

Ok so Screenwriting

thealtruismsociety

I created my project file, didn't even take away the default text but. My name, script name etc doesn't go on every page like on a novel?

Edit: Also 100 pages, NaNoWriMo had a goal of 50k but that was really kinda low end for a novel. Is it the same with a script? How many pages is a standard hour and a half movie script?

I created my project file, didn't even take away the default text but. My name, script name etc doesn't go on every page like on a novel?

A "spec" script like the one your writing either has no header or a right-aligned page number followed by a period on every page but the first.

Edit: Also 100 pages, NaNoWriMo had a goal of 50k but that was really kinda low end for a novel. Is it the same with a script? How many pages is a standard hour and a half movie script?

100 pages is a little light, but only by 10 or so. The rule of thumb is that a pages is about a minute of screen time, so 120 pages is about 120 minutes.

-Steve

A "spec" script like the one your writing either has no header or a right-aligned page number followed by a period on every page but the first.

100 pages is a little light, but only by 10 or so. The rule of thumb is that a pages is about a minute of screen time, so 120 pages is about 120 minutes.

-Steve

I guess I can ask about cover pages and all that after the script is done and fully edited to perfection.

Technically no. This is a spec script. A reading script that gets bound (eventually).

I actually collected a few movie scripts. (Weird, I know.)

Gone With The Wind (1939, a 238 minute movie) had a 221-page script.

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983, a 134 minute movie) had a 110-page script.

Star Wars has a higher time/page ratio because the short Action descriptions describe a whole lot of action.

So, while ~120 pages is normal enough for a movie, the number of pages can translate into very different movie lengths.

I hope I cleared that all up for ya.

- Thoth.

Archived