Storyist Forums

"Said"

thealtruismsociety

When do you use it too much, when do you try to hard to find other words to use instead.

I noticed while glancing through Twilight (I just could get more than halfway reading.) the author almost NEVER uses said.

I'm reading Out of the Silent PLanet by CS Lewis and he using it ALL THE TIME.

Whats everyones option?

When do you use it too much, when do you try to hard to find other words to use instead.

I noticed while glancing through Twilight (I just could get more than halfway reading.) the author almost NEVER uses said.

I'm reading Out of the Silent PLanet by CS Lewis and he using it ALL THE TIME.

Whats everyones option?

Writing books and courses tell you to use "said" rather than the alternatives, because research has shown that readers don't see it: their eyes skim over it and it doesn't get in the way of the story. "Asked" is supposedly in the same category.

Personally, I find "said" jarring after about three-four repetitions, in both my own writing and that of others. What I do instead is to vary the dialogue with beats (pieces of action that identify the speaker). What I don't do, except in rare instances, is use a variant of "said." Once in a while I will let a character whisper or mutter, since that isn't something that can be conveyed through the dialogue itself. Anger usually can:

"I will not tolerate you talking back to me!" John slammed his fist against the table, and the cups rattled.

No need to say that he shouted, is there? It would be superfluous. You might as well add an emoticon, in case the reader really didn't get the point.

My two cents, for what they're worth. Stephanie Meyer has sold a lot more books than I have! (But then, so has C.S. Lewis.) :)

Best,

M

If there are only two people in the conversation, which is usually the case with my writing, I don't bother with "said" and, like M, let the action provide indication when necessary. But if the dialog runs long I might throw in a "said" as a place-holder for the reader.

It's probably worth pointing out that this is a non-problem with scripts since all dialog has a character heading. There could be ten people in the conversation and not a hint of confusion.

- Thoth.

Archived