Storyist Forums

Index Cards in Single View

BlancNoir

Hi,

I am a young French Canadian screenwriter who is new to Storyist and this forum, so forgive me if this question has been already answered. I went through the different topics and have not found a satisfying answer: what is the best way to switch back and forth between the screenplay and the index cards in single view?

Hi,

I am a young French Canadian screenwriter who is new to Storyist and this forum, so forgive me if this question has been already answered. I went through the different topics and have not found a satisfying answer: what is the best way to switch back and forth between the screenplay and the index cards in single view?

In my humble opinion, be you a young French Canadian screenwriter or not, the best way is to click on one of the three boxes on the upper right side of the screen (just below the search field).

When you get the chance, drop by Storyist.com (from the Storyist program, Help > Visit Storyist Website) and read through the User's Guide (at the Website, Support > User's Guide). You will find a great deal of useful information there.

- Thoth.

Thanks for your quick reply. However, when I do

Storyist > New Project > Screenplay template

and select the project title "my script" in the Project View panel (the whole script as opposed to one of its scenes) and click on the Storyboard View (right-most button showing four small squares), I expect to see the corkboard with all the index cards. But this is not what I get. Instead, I get only the first card "Fade in". I must then click on one of the scenes and click again on the project title to get to see all the index cards. Humbly, this behaviour seems a bit irrational. Doesn't it?

I believe the rational is to give you a high-level index card to annotate.

However, yes, if you click the highest level (Scripts) you will get a set of index cards representing the highest level of each of your scripts. (Some people keep more than one script per Storyist file.) If you then double-click on one of these high-level cards you get the set of index cards representing each of the scenes.

After that, you should be able to click at the highest single-script level and get a set of index cards representing the scenes.

Play around with it a bit.

Keep the sequences of clicks in mind.

Who knows, you may have discovered a glitch.

- Thoth

It looks like a glitch to me, or else I don't understand the rationality behind it. Consider the below sequence of clicks:

Storyist > New Project > Screenplay Template > Select My Script (whole screenplay) > View as storyboard

10909180.png

Why this does not display the corkboard with all the index cards for the entire project (selected) is beyond my comprehension.

:)

BlancNoir,

I do believe you have found a glitch. It should display all of that groups index card. In my understanding, the collage view for the FADE IN scene (which is what you're seeing) should only be shown when the scene is selected, not the manuscript. If you were to continue clicking in your sequence as such:

Storyist > New Project > Screenplay Template > Select My Script (whole screenplay) > View as storyboard (leave this on) > INT. A CLEAN WELL-LITGHTED PLACE - DAY (select in project pane) > My Script (select in project pane)

You would see all of the scenes index cards and not the collage view for FADE IN. I think you should report this over in the Troubleshooting area. Especially since this only happens in the Screenplay template, the Novel template works as expected.

- Joules

ps. This is a great find. If it is a bug (which it seems to be) I'm sure Steve will happily squash it.

BlancNoir,

...This is a great find. If it is a bug (which it seems to be) I'm sure Steve will happily squash it.

I'm seeing this too, but only with new scripts (which is why I didn't spot it in my Frenzy script, I suppose).

Clicking back between Scripts and My Script seems to fix it but, yes, it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Jewels, do you wish to report this in the Beta section or should I?

- Thoth.

You've got enough posts... I'll do it! :) *runs off to Beta area* WHEEEE!! It sill should get posted in the trouble shooting area though.

I just discovered the Troubleshooting section. Should similar glitches be reported there?

If you're sure it's a bug—or if you suspect that something isn't working correctly, as distinct from having questions about how things are supposed to work—then Troubleshooting is the place to report the problem. In this case, Julia Grace has already posted the question elsewhere.

Best,

Marguerite

It looks like a glitch to me, or else I don't understand the rationality behind it. Consider the below sequence of clicks:

Storyist > New Project > Screenplay Template > Select My Script (whole screenplay) > View as storyboard

10909180.png

Why this does not display the corkboard with all the index cards for the entire project (selected) is beyond my comprehension.

Hi BlancNoir,

When you switch from one view mode to another, Storyist maintains the current selection in that view.

In your example, when you click on "My Script" in the Project view, Storyist navigates to the script and positions the current selection at the start of the script, which in this case is FADE IN:

When you then switch to the storyboard view, Storyist maintains your selection (FADE IN:).

Note: If you want to see the corkboard, just choose View > Go to Enclosing Group.

It looks like you're expecting the Project view selection to control what is displayed when you change view modes. The reason it doesn't is that the Project view selection is just a starting point. Consider this example:

1) Storyist > New Project > Screenplay Template > Select My Script

2) Move to a scene other than the first.

Your last project selection is the entire script, but you've moved to another scene and the text selection is in that scene. If the Project selection controlled which scene the storyboard displayed, you would be left wondering why Storyist displayed something you selected many clicks ago.

-Steve

Thanks Steve,

If this is the case, then I would definitely make "My Script" unselectable. I mean, just by looking at the picture posted above, one would wonder why "My Script" is selected and it is "FADE IN:" that is displayed. Actually, does it need to be selectable?

Archived