Storyist Forums

Chapter Titles

Joolissa

Hey

So I'm wondering if there is a way to have a two line Chapter Title? Hitting enter takes you to the next style and shift-enter doesn't work either. I want to have:

CHAPTER ONE

A COUPLE WORDS

but, it looks like the only thing I can do is:

CHAPTER ONE - A COUPLE WORDS

Just curious if there's a setting I can change to make this possible. I looked in editing the style and didn't see anything obvious that would change it.

- Jools

I think that would take a new Style. If you look at the Style for "Chapter Title" it specifies leading spaces. That's why you can't have more than one line. So you want a new style, call it "Chapter Sub-Title." Basically, the same as Chapter Title but without the spaces. By editing the Style for "Chapter Title" you can do this pretty easily. If you are asking for Steve to ship this new style as part of the default Novel Template, that's probably a feature request.

FWIW, I usually do my chapters in the form of "STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE" but I'd be tempted to use the sub-title as well.

Orren

I realize I can make a new style, but a new style to go underneath the Chapter Title wouldn't show up in the chapter name in the project pane or anywhere else. Also, I'm not sure what spaces you're talking about, because I've edited the Chapter Title style and stripped out all of the spacing (made it single spaced and made before & after paragraph spacing 0in) and it still doesn't let you have a second line.

I don't need Steve to ship it as default. If I could figure out how to do it, I can always post a template in the sharing area for anyone else who's interested.

Still wondering

- Jools

I realize I can make a new style, but a new style to go underneath the Chapter Title wouldn't show up in the chapter name in the project pane or anywhere else.

Sure it does—but it shows up as a completely unique chapter (which isn't ideal, of course).

Also, I'm not sure what spaces you're talking about, because I've edited the Chapter Title style and stripped out all of the spacing (made it single spaced and made before & after paragraph spacing 0in) and it still doesn't let you have a second line.

Here's how I did the attached screenshot:

Chapter Title style: remove margin and line spaces

Sub-Chapter Title style: remove paragraph begins on new page checkmark

Still wondering

Clearly, to have a single chapter title have multiple lines is not possible. As you pointed out, the project view isn't set up for it. But you can sort of fake it, if you want, using the methods I've outlined. It's not ideal (nor would I use it personally) but visually, it captures the look.

Orren

post-625-1271530715_thumb.jpg

Hmm.. Thanks for the explanation. I don't think I'd use it since it's a separate chapter. Thanks though! I'll play with it and try to figure something out.

- Jools

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to reawaken this one. For my new manuscript, my chapter titles include complete dates (day, month, year) and a quick detail (pre- or post-landing. makes sense in the story :P ). As such, my chapter titles take up nearly the entire line.

I can do what I suggested, of course. ;) But it would be nice if there was a double-line option. (There might be, and I'm just not facile enough to styles to have hit it yet).

Take care,

Orren

Archived