Storyist Forums

moving sections/scenes between manuscripts

anko roze

hi there.

i'm sure i read in a message somewhere on these forums that you can't drag a section/scene from one manuscript to another...

since i'm very interested in using multiple manuscripts that share all their supporting materials within a project, this seems like it would be an unwanted limitation. does anyone know if there is a plan to remove this limitation from storyist?

thanks,

anko.

Only Steve would know. But...

1. You can always cut and paste a section/scene from one Storyist file to another...and,

2. It is possible to maintain more than one manuscript (e.g., book) in the Project view.

Hope that helps.

- Thoth.

Only Steve would know. But...

1. You can always cut and paste a section/scene from one Storyist file to another...and,

2. It is possible to maintain more than one manuscript (e.g., book) in the Project view.

Hope that helps.

- Thoth.

thanks Thoth.

yep was aware of the multiple manuscript per project capability, not having that would've knocked storyist out of contention for me.

cut and paste between manuscripts achieves the desired result. it just seems that having implemented multiple manuscripts per project, not being able to drag scenes and chapters between manuscripts in the project view is counter-intuitive. i was guessing that since multiple manuscripts is a newer addition that the ability to drag between them must be on the to-do list for future implementation...

perhaps Steve can comment on this.

- anko

I'm pretty sure it's on the list, as some of us have been requesting it for a while. Where on the list, only Steve would know. It would be useful, she said, after an entire day spent trying to incorporate two different endings spread across three manuscripts into one coherent whole.

But honestly, the copy/paste solution is not that bad. At least the text retains its styles. We used to have to stash unused scenes in the notebook, and everything came back as Default Text....

So the current system is actually a big improvement. We didn't have multiple windows in those days, either, and we had to walk ten miles to school in a blizzard, to boot. ;)

Best,

M

Hi Anko,

hi there.

i'm sure i read in a message somewhere on these forums that you can't drag a section/scene from one manuscript to another...

since i'm very interested in using multiple manuscripts that share all their supporting materials within a project, this seems like it would be an unwanted limitation. does anyone know if there is a plan to remove this limitation from storyist?

thanks,

anko.

Drag-and-drop between manuscripts is on the list. I'll try to get to it soon (sometime this summer).

-Steve

Hi Anko,

Drag-and-drop between manuscripts is on the list. I'll try to get to it soon (sometime this summer).

-Steve

ok Steve, thanks for the prompt reply.

i must say that so far the storyist forums are proving to be a good point in favour of the software with me. ;)

- anko

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

So, I've come here to help with copy/paste problems, only to see this should be working.

I'm trying to copy a chapter from one manuscript into a second one. But...nothings happening. I've tried it multiple times by command+c/command+v. I've tried it multiple times by selecting copy, then paste, from the edit menu in the top toolbar. I've even tried dragging and dropping, since that might be available by now, but again, nothing. (I get the green circle with a plus sign in it, but when I release the file into the new manuscript...nothing.

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong this time? Thanks.

I don't know, as I haven't had any trouble with selecting text, cutting or copying it, creating a new chapter in the new manuscript and a section below that chapter to hold the text, then pasting the text into the new section (which then usually but not always calls itself whatever the old section did).

It shouldn't be necessary, but do you select the # section break character as well? That might help. Do you create a new chapter in the new manuscript? I'm not sure that the procedure works if you just select the manuscript and paste. Storyist needs a hierarchy. (Steve may correct me on this one.)

Best,

Marguerite

Thanks, Marguerite

I tried both creating a chapter to paste the old one into, and creating a subsection. I tried both of these with and without assigned titles. I closed Sotryist yesterday and will open it freshly and try again, in case that magically fixes whatever is bugging it. (bad pun sortof intended)...

Nope. Still nothing.

When I try to Paste in the new document, the EDIT heading in the toolbar flashes for a moment. So it definitely knows I'm trying to do something.

When I tried CUTTING from the original document, just to see what would happen, I got a message that says the text is linked with collages, so cutting the text would cut the collages too. Of course I did not want to do that, so I didn't follow through.

I should not thing that this would prevent me from copying the text in another document, but...maybe? I just cannot figure out what else is going on.

Hi Mercedes,

Update:

However, when I copy/pasted from the original document into a WORD document, then REcopied the text from the Word document and pasted into the new Storyist document - it worked.

That is strange. Is this something that you can reproduce with a small file? Say something derived from the Novel template? I'd be happy to take a look at whatever you feel comfortable sending to me. You can use the support email address for that.

It would be helpful to know what versions of the OS and Storyist you are running. If you're running 10.6.6 or later, be sure to install Apple's Font update, which fixes some problems people were having with text not showing up in OS X writing apps like Pages and Storyist.

-Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm running 10.6.6 and Storyist 2.3.1

I haven't been able to reproduce it.

It does provide some answer though, that it is strange to you, since I take it that means that the problem shouldn't be due to the fact that the text is linked to collages or whatnot.

I am happy to send you the files, but - esp. since no one else has encountered this - unless I have it happen again I'll just leave it as an isolated freak thing. If it's not going to reoccur, no use in you kindly crawling through the info to figure it out. If it happens again, I will definitely let you know.

I had put Storyist down since last year, so whatever I may have done would have certainly faded with memory. If it happens again perhaps I can be fresher with details. Thanks for getting back to me.

Archived