Storyist Forums

Audio Books

astillac

I've been so busy for the last - god, four months now - that I've had zero time available to read... or write, in the strictest sense. I'm trying to make the time, but I'm also curious as to how people here feel about audio books. I've always stayed away because I liked the pleasure of silent, single-minded absorption that comes from a book. But who knows, I could be missing out on a great thing. And even half-paying attention is better than no input at all. A girl can only create for so long before the random inspiration tank needs to be re-filled, you know?

Are there audio books that you particularly love or hate?

Hi Calli.

Are there audio books that you particularly love or hate?

I can't honest say that I love or hate any audio book. I find them all soporific, fit only for sending me to dreamland when I'm over-caffeinated.

I've always stayed away because I liked the pleasure of silent, single-minded absorption that comes from a book.

Same here. Although I keep getting them as gifts. (Pfft.) Also, when I'm reading, I can more readily pause and consider. Reading gives me more control. (ULTIMATE POWER!)

A girl can only create for so long before the random inspiration tank needs to be re-filled, you know?

Boys too. Fortunately there are limitless sources of inspiration for both genders.

I've been so busy for the last - god, four months now ...

Count your blessings. It's the down times I dread the most.

Happy Whatever-you're-celebrating-these-days.

- Thoth

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to get an audio book read by Alan Rickman..... or a few others... I really wouldn't care what it is... lol!!!

I've only listened to an audio book once, and not even the whole book, and that was a Harry Potter book when I couldn't sleep, though generally I watch classic Disney movies for that ^_^. I generally feel like it's cheating to listen to an audio book before reading the book, but I'm weird like that. I also don't think I could listen to one while driving or doing anything because I would either be distracted from what I was doing or miss things in the book, unless it was one I knew well.

Still... I do want anything read by Alan Rickman...... :lol:

Oooo.. I'd forgotten about that! It is now on my wishlist... I also need to get more by Neil Gaiman., I have one short exerpt from something and a song where he sings.. I actually need to read his books too, but his voice is along the same vein of Alan's

Luckily, there are a lot of Neil Gaiman novels and anthologies out there. (The guy is a writing fiend. Or some kind of fiend.) But I don't know of any audio books by him. If you find one, please post. Buy the way, why the new avatar/icon? Get tired of the mouse?

ARGH... accidentally make the internet eat my post!!!

It was a toad, but I felt like a change, especially because I've been taking a lot of photos with Hipstamatic on my iPhone, which has helping me feel more creative lately.

Here's a short free reading by him (put $0 in the amount you wish to pay)

http://music.amandapalmer.net/track/neil-gaiman-reading-feat-zo-keating-lyndon-chester

He sings the last song on this:

http://music.amandapalmer.net/album/nighty-night

Here's a couple books of his that he narrates as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Coraline-Neil-Gaiman/dp/006051048X/ref=cm_lmf_tit_5

http://www.amazon.com/Fragile-Things-Stories-Neil-Gaiman/dp/0061142379/ref=cm_lmf_tit_11

There might be more, but I'll have to hunt them up later

- Jools

Mmmmhmmm

But why oh why must the man play evil villans!!!!! I first saw him in Sense & Sensibility as Colonel Brandon and adore him in that roll, but since then I have only ever seen him as the villian! Snape, Nottingham Sheriff (Because it'll hurt more you twit!), Quigley down under, Die Hard... I guess I need to look him up on IMDB and see if he's in any more happy movies as good characters. Heh

Anybody have any other people they'd like an audio book from? I can think of a few, but Alan is the top of my list.

- Jules

Yea I'm on the road to discovering AFP... I discovered Gaiman through The Bloggess and AFP through Gaiman... so now I have two new people to look into.

Oh and you're welcome!

Archived