Storyist Forums

Deleting files

dennis7490

Hi Dennis,

I have a lot of files that i cannot open in Storyist. So, I want to delete them from the drop down window when I hit file. I am not offered this option. Directions say to delete a file go to project view, which i cannot find anywhere.

The files that appear in the drop down window when you choose File > New Project are project templates. You can delete the ones you created (but not the built-in ones) as follows:

1) Open the Library/Application Support/Storyist/Templates folder in your Home directory.

2) Drag the templates you want to delete to the trash.

3) Restart Storyist.

-Steve

Hi Dennis,

but, I do not want to delete templates. I want to delete FILES. I.e., something that I imported that isn't working that i do not want.

Sorry. When you said "drop down window," I thought you were talking about the template chooser. To delete files from the Project view:

1) Select the file in the Project view.

2) Press the Delete key. This will move the file to the project trash.

To empty the project trash, choose Project > Empty Project Trash.

-Steve

Sorry, but this is not working at all.

If i highlight a file it tries to open it. SOTRYIST CANNOT OPEN THE FILE. So, i cannot go to project view to delete it. I need to delete the file when given the option to open it. this may be a Mac function and not a Storyist function, i don't know, but I cannot find a "list" of Sotryist files that i can highlight and delete the way you can in a Windows system.

thanks,

Dennis

In windows it is easy. you highlight the file name, hit delete, and it's gone. It does not try to open first.

I have a lot of files that i cannot open in Storyist. So, I want to delete them from the drop down window when I hit file. I am not offered this option. Directions say to delete a file go to project view, which i cannot find anywhere.

Hi Dennis,

I think part of the problem is that it's not 100% clear what pop-up menu you are talking about. Do you mean the "open recent" menu under the File menu? (see screenshot below). If that's it, you can click the "Clear Menu" entry under the list of items to "start over" and leave the Open Recent sub-menu blank, only to fill with Storyist-openable files.

If that isn't what you mean, can you take a screenshot of exactly what you mean?

Hope that helps,

Orren

post-625-0-05348200-1317680073_thumb.png

At the risk of being way too obvious, could it be that Storyist cannot open the problem files because they are not Storyist files? In that case, they have not been imported into Storyist at all.

If that is the problem, you need to click on the Mac background, make sure that the menu says Finder (not Storyist), hold down the cloverleaf (command) key and type N, then click on Documents. From there you can drag unwanted files to the trash.

You may see your files on the Desktop even before you hit Command-N. In that case, drag them to the trash from there.

Usually you can tell what kind of file you have from its icon (as in Windows), but if you like, you can force the Finder to tell you. Click on Finder, choose Preferences, and click in the box next to "always show file extensions."

And if I misunderstood your problem, apologies.

Marguerite

This is my fault. What I'm looking for is a mac function, not a Storyist function. I'm used to Windows, and when you open a program and bring down the file menu in Windows, you are offered only those files within that program, not all files. so, I have learning to do on Mac, yet. Sorry for the confusion.

The Apple menu applies across all programs: that allows you to easily open, say, a specific, recently accessed Excel file while you're in Storyist.

But Storyist has its own File menu with an "Open Recent" section. If you use that one instead, you will find only Storyist files listed in it.

Welcome to the world of OSX. Mac and Windows: so alike, so different. :)

Best,

M

Archived