Storyist Forums

Return To Cursor After Closing.

Steve E

I was reading some of Carve's suggestions (e.g., I would like a preference setting where I could configure Storyist to automatically open the last story file I was working on.) and it occurred to me that Storyist is missing a very basic function: I would like the .Story file to remember exactly where my cursor was when I closed the file (and quit the application), and return to that position when I reopen that file. (The Dark Processor does it, so I'm sure Storyist can too.)

I know that since Section selection is possible there may be no great need for this, but I do not always remember in which Section I was working when I last quit.

Perhaps a Preference setting along the lines of: When Reopening Document Return to 1) Beginning 2)Last Position 3) End.

Just doing Dark Processor one better,

-Thoth.

I was reading some of Carve's suggestions (e.g., I would like a preference setting where I could configure Storyist to automatically open the last story file I was working on.) and it occurred to me that Storyist is missing a very basic function: I would like the .Story file to remember exactly where my cursor was when I closed the file (and quit the application), and return to that position when I reopen that file. (The Dark Processor does it, so I'm sure Storyist can too.)

I know that since Section selection is possible there may be no great need for this, but I do not always remember in which Section I was working when I last quit.

Perhaps a Preference setting along the lines of: When Reopening Document Return to 1) Beginning 2)Last Position 3) End.

Just doing Dark Processor one better,

-Thoth.

I agree.

Isaac, BTW, filed this request last February. Isaac, I haven't forgotten about it.

The reason it isn't implemented yet is that the text layout engine in Tiger requires that all text before the cursor be laid out prior to display, which for novel-length manuscripts takes "a while" if you're not at the beginning of the document.

The text layout engine in Leopard lifts the restriction for non-page mode documents but not for page layout. Since this probably won't change until at least 10.6, a preference setting is the way to go, with the understanding that if you are in page mode or on Tiger, you'll have to ......................... wait when opening your story.

-Steve

Archived