Storyist Forums

auto save

dennis7490

I am relatively new to Storyist, but enjoying it. I have written screenplays in so many programs i can't remember them all. But, a few things I always found essential.

- Auto save.

- A "save" button on the top that you just hit and it saves everything.

- A "send to" option so you can easily back up your work to an external drive.

Having lost a few things over the years I consider these safety measure almost a must. Once it's gone...it's gone and it ain't comin' back.

Cheers,

Dennis

I am relatively new to Storyist, but enjoying it. I have written screenplays in so many programs i can't remember them all. But, a few things I always found essential.

- Auto save.

- A "save" button on the top that you just hit and it saves everything.

- A "send to" option so you can easily back up your work to an external drive.

Hi Dennis.

Yep, Auto Save is handy and Storyist has it (in Storyist Preferences). And, of course, there is Time Machine, if you have it.

A Save command is pretty standard in pull-down menus, as is Save As to any mounted drive. But I wouldn't mind a big old button in the Toolbar. It might make a nice option for Customize Toolbar. I'll let you make the Feature Request.

...Once it's gone...it's gone and it ain't comin' back.

Cheers,

Cheers?

I can think of some cheerier thoughts, D.

-Thoth.

• 3 months later...

I did something really dumb yesterday, and I'm not sure what it is. I discovered late last night that three hours of work somehow did not get saved. I was able to re-do everything in about an hour, so it was not a bad loss, but I have to track down what I did wrong.

I thought last night that what I had been doing is saving to Finder instead of Stoyrist. You know on Mac you have a file open and it's not taking the whole screen? I figured I was not looking up at the program name (just to the right of the apple in the upper right hand corner). I was just hitting "File" and going down to "save" and not realizing that it wasn't Storyist I was not saving to.

But then today after reading this thread I found out that I do have "autosave" turned on, and the Daily Backup as well. So I dunno. I may have unintentionally swapped out an older version of the file by synching with the Ipad wrong, though I have been very careful to try to not get those msss confused.

I am a newbie, and techno-challenged, but a big old SAVE button on the Storyist menu would be good.

Sometimes I find myself working in a window that has opened up without my realizing it's another window. I wonder if I was saving wrong that way.

In any case, today I'm exiting and reopening a lot, just to make sure the latest version is still there.

Archived